Disaster avoided but someone's in big trouble!!!

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
this was out of our towns arrest report

Here you go Lou:

ARREST: On Tuesday July 18, 2017 Delran Police were dispatched to 5010 North Rt. 130 Delran NJ the Wawa convenience store for a customer dumping gasoline into a storm drain on the property.  Responding officers identified Walter M. Charlton and David L. Hall on scene. Information was obtained that Walter M. Charlton purchased 36 gallons of gasoline at Wawa gas pumps for his SeaPro boat. The gas nozzle was placed in the fishing rod holder hole in the hull of the boat not the gas port inlet and 36 gallons of gas was pumped into the hull of the boat.  Walter M. Charlton and David L. Hall drove to a storm drain on the Wawa property and opened the hull plug and discharged the 36 gallons of gasoline into the storm drain.  Walter Charlton and David Hall were both charged with third degree Criminal Mischief and they were both released on a summons, pending their court appearance.

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dumb and dumber. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    You can't fix stupid. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Hope nobody drops a cigarette down that sewer.  Big boom
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    I think the firemen can flush a foam substance down there to break up the gas
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a mess. The fuel doesn't go away without lots of environmental damage. Storm water will go to streams, will report to lakes. And it spreads like wild fire. I'm sure the boat is pretty shot too. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    JACKASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd turn them over to the EPA.  There are HUGE fines for doing that.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there just a story of some guy doing that on the water and blowing his boat up when he went to start it?  Not the sharpest tools in the shed.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it a law in NJ that you are not allowed to pump your own gas? If so, then the pump attendant would also be at fault.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Correct that is a law in NJ.  I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the story not being told, and it was a fuel attendant that pumped it in the wrong hole.
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it was last year or the one before where this happened to some people i vaguely know- friend of a friend type thing, but i heard the story first hand from the wife while standing on a sandbar next to the boat it happened to... 

it was the teenage son... they pulled into the station (trailering) with their brand new boat, and the kid jumps out to pump while the rest of them secured ice, beer, soda, chips, ect... 

he filled 30 gallons before he realized it.  he found out when the automatic bilge kicked on... 

they called the fire department after moving the boat from the gas island.  they were told (surprisingly) to catch it in buckets/tanks, and shove some sort of absorbent material (they recommended) in cracks and crevices where it could be reached, and to rinse/rinse/rinse after they collected it.  

i'd personally be worried about that solvent on parts of the glass that isn't gelled, and/or where it could be absorbed.  

the crazy crap that happens down here could make a reality television show- mostly weekend warriors in boats 18~23' and drug down to the ramp three or four times a year by people without a clue.  just yesterday some people sent out a mayday- taking on water- and by the time responders got to them the boat was capsized... three people in the water with PFD's, five holding onto the hull... translation: there were only 3 PFD's on board- and wanna guess what else was on board but not installed? ..... the plug.  
    Just think of all the stories we DO NOT hear about?
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    I'm in NJ and most attendants will allow motorcycles and boat owners to pump their gas while they observe.  There's only 2 states where it's law and honestly it's not a huge deal to let someone fill thir own boat.  Sometimes it has to be done by ladder or up in the boat.  I think the catch basin should hold a good amount of liquid before it enters the pipe( if it's not holding water already).  
  • 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭