Options

Broken Drain Plug on Water Pump

Took the boat out yesterday and noticed that the Bilge was running more that normal.  Open up the engine hatch and immediately noticed a steady steam of water coming out of a drain plug that appears to be attached to the water pump on the SBR Merc. engine.  Looking at the port engine it looks like it should be a light blue plug and I can see part of the remains of a light blue plug where the water is steaming out.  Needless to say I shut the engine down and limped back in to port.  Anyone know the name or part number for this plug or had a similar experience? Just spent an hour and West Marine but the parts guy wasn't in and didn't find anything similar on the shelf.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay, Amazon or Great Lakes Skipper
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or Google Mercury Drain Plug
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    If it's the little twist on blue plug, West Marine should've had them for sure.  I always keep a few spares on board. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

CjwKCAjwtdbLBRALEiwAm8pA5QoHZivPWRgrYhCETdPCg3tYlqTWAn5M6rNfzIY1hTVFZ2SkFjr8axoCDCQQAvD_BwE
    2 bucks buy a couple of them
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That happened to me once where the blue plug broke off leaving part of the plug in the hole. I used a stainless sheet metal screw wrapped in teflon tape screwed into the broken plug to get back to the dock. West Marine does have them. Merc also sells them in a 5 pack. The part number is 22-806608Q01.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Ps do not over tighten the blue plug.
  • Options
    Send_MeSend_Me Member Posts: 9
    Thanks everyone - I was able to get the plug (with extras) easily from West Marine, once the clerk cam back from lunch.  Old plug seems to have just disintegrated leaving a portion stuck to the inside blocking the threads. Looking for a fix for that now.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod

I change mine out every 3 years or so.  I had this issue on my 310 and had to drill out once.  Was a real pain when I was trying to winterize.  As mentioned, a pack of 5 is pretty cheap and easy to change as maintenance.

@send_me glad you find them!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Try a left hand drill bit, if it grabs the plastic it will just spin out,