Options

Voltage gauge faulty?

chexmix64chexmix64 Member Posts: 3
Gents, I have searched this forum for my answer but not finding the correct research. My voltage gauge is reading around 8-9, and there is a constant beeping alarming me of low voltage. During troubleshooting, I put a meter on the battery and it reads 12.86. Fired the boat up quickly and the battery reads 14.4 at idle. (alternator is working) This has been a problem for maybe a week and with my upgraded sound system, the boat always starts. I have noticed that under power for a few minutes the gauge will read 10volts, and beeeping will stop. but returns when idle within 30 seconds. Temporary I have unplugged the beeper, knowing that the gauge is wrong until I get this resolved.  I have reseated the connection at the gauge to no resolve. Can you put a meter on the connection at the gauge and get a reading? I know there is three wires for the connecter. Ignition, ground, and power. Where does that power cable go, straight to the battery?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think one of the wires is for the internal light. The other 2 are positive and negative
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The voltage reading is coming from the engine. That is why you are getting the beeping from the alarm.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar problem with my old 280.  Turned out that the connections in and around the dash were made with these spade connector things meant to turn one male into 5.  The problem was that they were made of aluminum and corroded a bit and gotten lose with lots of vibration over the years.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    volt meter in the connector that connects to the gauge read 12.5 when key is on. Appears the gauge is faulty. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    chex, I too have had gauge problem's turned out bad/lose connections, behind the gauge,  not just voltage gauge, 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    yea I checked for loose connection (good clicking of keeper) no corrosion or rust. 35 bucks for a new one, we shall see. ha
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    The way that the dash is wired is so...
    Big honking wire from battery to fuse box. fuse box runs everything on dash (all the lighting, pumps,radios AND gauges and ignition system). when you turn things on, you are getting voltage drop on the big honking wire, add a bit of corrosion to some connections and you are getting more voltage drop. clean the connections,both hot and ground at the fuse block and see if the problem goes away. If not, then check the gauge (actually do the gauge first, easier)