Options

Transom Stereo Control not working

hutch1311hutch1311 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
If I plug the Transom stereo controller in on my 2004 Rinker 232 it wont allow you to control the volume up at the head unit and it doesn't work.  Do i maybe just need to replace the transom control?  The head unit works fine if you unplug the transom controller.  Any ideas??

Comments

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

Make and model of the stereo?

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    hutch1311hutch1311 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I know its a sony Xplode not sure what one though 
  • Options

Assuming everything is original and the system was working before (as presently configured), I'd check the remote cable and clean and check all connections between the remote and the head unit.  Does your remote have a display (I'm not familiar with Sony units)?  If so, does it show anything?

Do you have a remote at the helm?  If so, does it work?

If all else fails, you are most likely correct in thinking that the transom remote is toast.

Mark 

2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced my 2 old defective remotes with one amid-ship by the cockpit sink. I don't think these work in pairs and it wouldn't control the channel selection on my new Sony head but it was what worked for us.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    FamilyTrucksterFamilyTruckster Member Posts: 11 ✭✭

Mine does not work either.  Head unit works fine.  Remote control works fine (as long as I can get line of sight).  Transom control doesn’t.  At all.  Time for stupid questions/comments – I wasn’t aware that it had to be plugged in.  Where does it plug in at?  How does it come out/apart?  I have been afraid to break something and haven’t really figured out how to even get to the wiring behind it.  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Options

I guess I used the term "remote" too loosely.  There are permanently mounted wired remote units then there are infrared wireless handheld remotes as well.  The wired ones are wired to the head units.  There can be multiple wired remotes using y-adapter cables.

Compatibility between wired remotes and head units is an issue.  When replacing defective wired remote units, make sure they are compatible with your head unit.

Mark

2019 MTX20 Extreme