Options

Cleaning out water hose at transom

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
When they pulled off my starboard transom housing we found all kinds of fun stuff with both the transom and sterndrive.  So this has lead me to be a little concerned about the port side.  The water hose at the point it connects to the inner part of the transom assembly was decently calcified and blocked.  Not enough to cause water issues at lower speeds but could definitely cause issues at WOT.  It was recommended that i pull the drive, bell housing and replace the water line completely.  I was planning on pulling the drive this winter to check the gears and seals but was hoping to get through the rest of the season first.  Is it possible to get to the inner part of the hose and clean it out?   I know that there is a special tool to get the insert out.  Has anyone done this before.  Apparently completely replacing this hose when you do a bellows job is such a pain that a lot of people skip it.  
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guilty of this on both drives and read a lot of stuff that pertains the water inlet hose. It is not hard to remove the hosing piece, but you have to have good Visabilty to put the insert back it, as the hose tends to spin. When doing this on the bellhousing it is right there in front of you and you can hold the hose with your hand.
    Maybe a scope to see?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct