Tachometer reading high RPMs, but engine not running hard.

CoastalGroupCoastalGroup Harrison Twp., MIPosts: 12Member ✭✭
I went out today on my 1999 Fiesta Vee 330 and both tachometers were giving eradicate readings.  I noticed the RPMs were reading much higher for a given throttle position or speed than usual. What gets me is the engine sound did not match the higher reading at all.  At idle, the reading was 2000, yet I can almost guarantee the engine was turning no faster than a normal idle.  While cruising on plane at approximately 23 kts the tachs were reading in excess of 6000 RPMs this is normally in the 3500-4,000 RPM range. While trolling along at approx 8 kts the tachs were reading approx 3200 RPMs, normally this is less than 2000 RPM. At no time did the engines appear to be running as hard as the tachometers were reading. Oil pressure and engine temp read normal.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Mystic, CTPosts: 980Member ✭✭✭
    Those faria gauges are junk. They are definitely not functioning to spec. If this is the first you are noticing than you'll likely get away with a season of just double tapping the tachs and they usually go back to normal. Ultimately You can send them back to be rebuilt. Or go to smartcraft gauges and never worry about finnicky analog gauges again. Or even better vesselview. 
  • andydandyd Dana Point, California, USAPosts: 557Member ✭✭✭
    I thought of double tapping my tach, but one shot was enough.

Andy
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,280Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    As noted: junk gages. 

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 2,108Member ✭✭✭✭
    x3 goofy gage's mine too
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
  • F1100F1100 Lake SimcoePosts: 214Member ✭✭✭
    Mine are crap as well, jumping... and not accurate
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • icoulthaicoultha Niskayuna NYPosts: 527Member ✭✭✭
    May as well add to the list of those with similar experiences with the fine Faria gauges. 

Regards,

Ian

• CoastalGroupCoastalGroup Harrison Twp., MIPosts: 12Member ✭✭
    Thanks, for the input, I will try the tapping to see if that works.
  • scottb3200scottb3200 Eastgreenwich riPosts: 42Member ✭✭
    I tapped on my rpm gauge for 3 years just ordered a new one