Options

out drive asy

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Engine Discussions
Will add this to my bellows thread but wanted a quick look at this from the experts! @Alswagg maybe? When I pulled the drive off I read that to disconnect the shift cable from the drive you had to flip up a retainer piece to remove it- when I pulled the drive back, it was already "up" and the drive just came on off without touching anything. I'm concerned about going back together and the cable being secure. The top piece moves up and down freely, does not seem to be broken? Should there be tension on that top piece? Also, looking at the out drive and how it mates to the bell housing, there is a seal that goes around the water pick up tube- where the u joint goes into the u joint bellows I really don't see a seal between the bell housing and the out drive?

Comments

• Options
    So I answered one of my questions looking at the out drive...looks like the U joint, where the seal is I would guess goes into the u joint bellows, bottoms out in that bellows and the pressure from the bolts holding the drive pushed that in tight and seals...around to bottom of it there is some corrosion- guess that does not matter. 
  • Options
    @Alswagg should I have had to flip it up to get it apart? When I separated the drive, it just came apart...guess I will see. Any suggestions on routing the cable? I did not see how it was before I pulled it out....thanks Al
  • Options
    @Alswagg , yes well that was my plan as well but the plan went ary...so now I don't have a clue. Perhaps some of the other 270 owners can take a look at the routing and advise...dangit!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The cable will go in and around the Y pipe(exhaust) up to the shift mechanism. The adjustment is weird about 3/4 out side then pull tight and secure the little look pins.
    The cable will sit in the piece and when you push the outdrive in it will shift to nuetral and the casing will keep the tab down there is no sping load.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    This may help
  • Options
    Notice the full cooled system, compared to a half cooled system.
  • Options
    Thanks @reneechris14 kind of what I figured- It has to move when the drive moves...some articles had it going under engine mount, pretty confusing. I had taken one picture that showed it going off to the left of the riser...so I will snake it around...aa far as the cooling I don't see anything different than mine but will have to compare at the motor...when the monsoon passes...
  • Options
    @rasbury  when the cable comes in though the tramsom it will want to get stuck in the bellhousing with the coupler, once you pull it down and over it just comes around and up, don't forget the heat shield piece.
      Yah the full cooled system dumps in the riser
      The 1/2 system dumps under the manifold and up though the riser.
  • Options
    hmm...will take a look. I thought I got the most freshwater cooled boat I could get- guess it's not a huge deal as I do little salt water. So my system uses raw water for the heads and the manifold only? Yes, it was that friggin heat shield that got me in trouble when it got stuck pulling the sheath out- I had a wire run up through it so I could pull it all back through and not worry about the routing but it all broke lose and came out leaving me no clue where it went! So it does not wrap around the exhaust, just pull it over to the starboard side around the exhaust and then up to the connection? @reneechris14 Storm moved out so hopefully this evening I can get back to it. I need to pick up some perfect seal so I'd love to be putting back in the water this weekend if possible...just hope this solved my problem. What about where the trim wires run through, where the speedo tube comes through, those a possible area for a leak? It sure seemed it was leaking inside the perimeter of the transom plate but with water I suppose it's hard to tell unless you see the actual source- worried that it is the steering pin seal that is leaking which would be a real problem at this point!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rasbury , there is a seal for the trim sender wires. I believe there is a bolt up there that is tightened to squish the seal for a tight fit. you can also put some sealant up there with your finger to be sure. In the below link you can see the white "bung" seal.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/8m0095310-sender-assy-trim-1

2008 330EC
  • Options
    yes, that's what I was thinking...sure can't hurt...just use perfect seal? Or some other real sealant...
  • Options
    I agree that transom plate is the busiest part of the boat and very hard to see when water is intruding. Let's just hope you got the leak A.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    yes, that's what I was thinking...sure can't hurt...just use perfect seal? Or some other real sealant...
    I'm not familiar with perfect seal but I'm sure a little bit of 4200 will be fine.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Dude 
    sorry i known ur in fl 
    but u been screwing with this all summer
    and found no real answers to ur problem
    sometimes it pays for pros to find the problem and do it right 
    which in return saves u time
    and gives u more time on the water 
    cheers 
  • Options
    Yea, finding time to work on it, waiting for parts, weather,....on the plus side I would have not had much time to be on the water either!
  • Options
    Ok, working on this today- man getting that shift cable back through is a bit#&. Oh, and the part I waited a week for, the plastic guide that pushes through from the outside of the transom would not go in....and it collapsed - so, figured I would drill it out as it was most of the way in and the drill twisted about half of it out. So, I assume it is there so the sable does mot rub back and forth on metal, half of it left in there I assume will take care of that-not sure why it would not fit. Anyway, waiting for the wife to get home, perhaps as she pushes it through I can push it over and clear the coupler- have tried several ways by myself and just give up..
  • Options
    Finally got the thing through- not 100% routed yet but at least the end of it now I can hold and should be now be able to maneuver it around to get that part done. It sure has to take a pretty hard turn to come up over the lower engine mount- don't see or feel any where else it can go...