Options

When do you fire your mechanic?

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
To say i am frustrated is an understatement.  I am looking to you all to tell me if i am being too demanding or should i start looking for a new mechanic.  @Alswagg would love your opinion.  So July 9th i hit something and it ripped off my outdrive, broke the transom assembly.  The boat was pulled, blocked and I contacted a new mechanic that was recommended to me by the marina owner.  July 11 he looked at the boat and broke the bad news.  I called Insurance and asked him for an estimate so i could get it to Insurance and get things rolling. It is now July 31 and i still have no estimate.  The outdrive was pulled, transom assembly pulled, engine pulled.....no @#$#@$%#@~^ estimate.  I almost feel like doing it myself.  He showed me gears from the outdrive that he said were "worn out".  I didn't see it.  Yes the grain was not there on a lot of the teeth but does that mean worn out?  The lower drive shaft was scored pretty bad where the seal is so i definitely can see that needs to be replaced.  But that is very different than a whole new stern drive that i have to pay for out of pocket.  Grrrrrrrr. I have bugged him 3 times and he has given me 3 separate dates that have come and gone for when he would have the estimate.  What would you do?
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    That is way too long for an estimate.  I've unfortunately been thru this a couple times with insurance.  Is the insurance company waiting for the estimate?  Have they sent someone out to look at the boat?  If both are yes, then the #@$# mechanic needs to get it moving!  it sounds like the mechanic is mobile? or at least not with the marina you have the boat?  If that's the case, I'd be done with him.  Or give him an ultimatum!  an estimate is just that.  it doesn't have to be exact and generally is a bit higher just in case.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I am waiting on the estimate, Insurance is waiting on the estimate, surveyor sent from insurance is waiting on the estimate.  
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    If he left you stranded, or you're missing weekends on the boat then it's time to find a new mechanic.  We only have a 6 month boating season so can't tolerate poor marine mechanic service.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20 days for just the estimate is to long, call some one else!
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did say he pulled the outdrive,engine,and tramsom, he had time to work but no paper?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fire him, If he cannot get the estimate done he probably cannot get work done either. It would be more understanding if his shop was backed up, but when or if he get's it to you it may another week for insurance approval before he or anyone can start. I would have already, drove  over there and had a face to face.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think David heard this guy was cheap. Lol
  • Options
    So i spent a bunch of time today calling around and could not find one guy that would take it on.  No one would do it as a mobile job...i would have to get the boat to them and no one wanted a job someone else had taken apart.
  • Options
    What a nightmare
  • Options
    Can the boat be moved to Dreams mechanic?
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
     MD to IN not very feasible for a 342. You could do this yourself, with some instructions, and a helper. If your some what mechanical, Just an idea. I feel your pain bro. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Not sure how it works in the USA, but I deal with these guys every day. Have a independent appraiser sent out. The squeeze wheel gets the oil, keep on your adjuster DAILY.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    If the boat can be towed, I'd seriously consider doing that.  There are plenty of other good mechanics around that, yes, would have to do it at their own shop.  If you wanted to tow it about 20 miles south (check with your towing insurance if you can be covered), I know a real good guy.  Just let me know.  This is not a tough job and from beginning to end, should've been complete by know (and that is thru insurance as well).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    randy56 said:
     MD to IN not very feasible for a 342. You could do this yourself, with some instructions, and a helper. If your some what mechanical, Just an idea. I feel your pain bro. 
    Md to IN ????????.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Engine is out of the boat, transom assembly is off, out drive was disassembled to be tested for cracks....only way this boat is moving is on a trailer. I would do the work but i really would need help.  I would feel a lot better doing this with someone more experienced than myself.  Alignment, routing of wires, what goes in first, second etc.. trust me @Dream_Inn if she could be towed, pushed, pulled or heII even paddled i would of gotten it there by now. I did get a call from the guy that he had finished the estimate last night.  He just needed his son to email it to me.  
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Good luck David