Options

First Time Out/Gas

trich11trich11 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
With the weather, flooding and other commitments we have had over the course of the last 6 weeks or so, we finally had a chance to get out for a bit on Saturday. Cruised up river to grab some gas and visit some friends. Gas on the street has been $4.10-$4.25 in the Peoria area so it felt pretty good to fill up, on the river, with valve-tech gas at $4.25. I doubt the next tank with be that cheap!  Doubt we will see much time at WOT this season.

Comments

• Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    i payed 3.86/gal sunday in middle river maryland
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    Nice. Illinois is currently running second in the country on average gas prices trailing only Hawaii. Hawaii I can understand but we as a state suck at nearly everything anymore.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get a kick out of pumps that have the little map adhered to them demonstrating the taxes of the states in the region.. my state (NC) is the highest in the southeast... This doesn't include federal taxes.. combined, they make up about half the cost of that gallon of fuel...

My pops was in the oil business for a lot of years.. he still goes over the edge when this discussion comes up.. I love that man, and I'm not so sure how well physically connected he is with his ghost, so I generally avoid the topic with him.. :-)

there used to be a limit on tax per unit of fuel.. it was a fixed price, not a percentage.. it was something like: 10% federal but not to exceed 25 cents, and whatever the state determined, modeled after the federal cuts- something like 15% State, not to exceed 15 cents after federal costs.. you can toss those figures out the window- I only introduced them as a talking point, but the simple truth is that there are taxes both overt and covert.. we're only seeing the overt ones.

I'd reckon politics ain't too welcome here- and this is toeing up to that line, but: it sure seems to me that some organizations discover another is gouging, and they jack their own prices knowing the other will absorb most the blame.. and so the finger pointing begins, and generally where folks conclude blame is to be placed is generally along the same lines of direction that their political party affiliation leans.

Meanwhile, I can't boat as much as I would like to.. I surely can't make as many WOT runs as I would want.. and ethanol is an enemy of me and my boat that is becoming harder to avoid....
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well DA, where I live they have to post the octane, % ethanol and exactly who gets what mark-ups. Knowing all that doesn't lessen my pain. New governmant comes in saying they will drop taxes and says two weeks in office - oh darn, we can't do that - we need the money. The way I look at it I can tolerate almost any price for beer, tequila, green fees and gas. I will skimp on food and shoes for the Admiral. I tell the kids who love to ski, tube and see me hit WOT whenever legal that the sound they hear coming out the pipes, is the sound of their inheritance going up in smoke. Man does that throw a damper on their day. Does make me smile though! Is that parental abuse?
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hah!!!

It rolls downhill, brutha.. even on the water... If'n we're abused by merchants, producers, and govt types, we gotta stick it somewhere just to keep ourselves sane... Live it up and hit WFO says me!!! Tomorrow ain't a promise, or, better said in the wise words of Yogi Bear "the future ain't what is used to be"... :-)
  • Options
    Amen. Stay Frosty.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My slipmate has a 70' yacht. He goes cruising for a month every summer and tells his family he's burning their inheritance too. He spent $15k on fuel in a month!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Hey BD, that's serious cash! We just passed the 20 hour break-in time with our twin 350 mags. We tried to keep it above 3500rpm as much as possible, with the odd shot up to WOT. In 20 hours I burned almost 2 grand. Man that's almost $100 an hour. My wallet noticed that! MT
  • Options
    DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Trich - Where'd you find that price at? Detweiller isn't even selling yet this year if they'll be selling at all. 
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Trich if it makes you feel any better Indiana gas prices are no better then Chicago right now.  The Admiral and I thought we would be getting a little break on gas on the other side of the border.  No luck.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About $5.20/gallon with marinetech additive in Michigan.  Even gas stating are in the $4.10/gal range.  I was in SC last week on business..$3.11/gal.  The MI, IL, IN, WI areas get some wonder mix gas for the summer and prices always jump.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    I've been able to find the 89 octane for $4/gal right now.  Next Friday, my 5-6 hour trip to VA beach will burn a good majority of my 300 gallon tank.  That's $1k gone in hours!  It's family time well spent! :)>-

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Sunday I paid $4.35 ... seems like the marinas, unlike street gas, base there prices on what in the tanks not what it will cost to replace what's in the tanks. at least the marina by me, so that mean next time $5 !!
  • Options
    DZ, National is up and running. I think they purchased this load of fuel prior to the flood and prices going up.