Options

Performance data for 2001 270FV with the 496

I have a sea trial tomorrow of a 2001 270FV with the Mercruiser 496 Mag ****. I can't find any information about this boat with this engine option, so I'm not sure what to expect for top speed and speed/RPM correlation. 

Any help is grearly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I'd guess around 44 for top speed and holding plane above 25. The engine is the biggest one offered, it should feel impressive.

I usually allow 15 seconds to get on plane, but I baby it and bring the RPM up slowly. 6-10 seconds to plane with two souls on board is what I think I read. 

Oh, and mines a 280, so a little more beam/similar weight.
  • Options
    thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Completed the sea trial today...

- Had the mechanic pull codes. Only the codes that appear when you have a SmartCraft engine not hooked up to any of the external sensors showed up. 
    - Hours on the ECU were ~33 hours over the hobbs (or whatever boats use...) on the engine cowl (not sure what's up with this).
    - The engine sounded amazing. No stumbling or misfires. After several quick drops from WOT to idle I noticed no hesitation or stumbling below idle.
    - Full tank of gas, 2.5 guys on board (I'm the fat a** 1.5 guy), it jumped up on plane almost instantly upon applying 3/4 throttle.
    - Top speed was between 38 and 40 depending on which direction we were headed.
    - The tach registered 4000-4100 RPM at WOT when the engines top RPM is rated for 4600-4999. When adjusting the trim the tach would hop up to 4500 for a second and drop back down. I suspect an issue with the tach, as I don't think we would be doing 27mph at 3000 and then 40mph at 4000.
    - The swim platform holds water up while on plane. A blob of water stays under it above the waterline the whole time. I may need to do something about that.

So, overall a great run! Very easy to control even at low speeds, and a brief 45 minutes on the water has me hungry for more! Hoping to pick her up next week!
  • Options
    The bolt-on swim platforms were known to do this - there were a few solutions, including drilling a few holes so it vents. If you're making 40 it's running well - and I'm glad the idle is smooth. My surges a bit - haven't had a chance to figure out the reason why - but it's barely noticeable. It's also possible to contend with the swim platform drag they dropped the pitch of the props, but if they did that I'd expect you'd get higher RPM. Then again you said the tach might have an issue - that's possible. I've seen several of them get vibrated until the selector switch is midway between settings - I've yet to have the internals fail - and I basically own boats made between 10-20 years ago - the price is usually right.

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to monitor my fuel burn and work on learning to trim things out well before I start looking for mechanical solutions. I was all over the place with trim. 
  • Options
    I can hit 2 MPG using the VV7.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best I did with a 383 in a 270 was 1.8mpg..  

I'm surprised the top is only 40.. was that gps?  If that's the case and your rpm's are low I'd think it's time for a change of props.. especially to the 4 blade ones.. 

Just fyi, my tach reads 4500, when I'm really only doing 3800,  it'll say 5000 when I'm doing 4100... I use vessleview mobile to get the accurate tach readings..
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ps. post some pictures of the boat, drive and engine bay!!
  • Options
    I'll get some pics up Sunday when I bring her home!

the speed was according to a GPSMAP 235. 

Im trying to figure out how best to take advantage of the fact that the engine has a smart craft plug, but there are no other smart craft devices on board. I was considering trying to do the mercury gateway to n2k route to my new display (garmin 742xs), but do you think vesselview is an easier option?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Went ahead and ordered the vesselview module....
  • Options
    VV Link and a MFD.