Options

2006 212 trim pump wiring?

kleakekleake Member Posts: 19 ✭✭

I moved my battery from the port to the starboard side to better balance since everyone sits opposite of me.  I found these wires connected to the battery, but the 20amp fuse is blown.  It's a red wire with black strip.  The odd part is that it's got power from the harness, and not from the battery so someone had it hooked up wrong.  It "appears like it would be to power the trim pump, but it has it's own wiring direct to the battery.  Any idea what it's for?  It's the perfect length and has large eyelets that would fit the trim pump perfectly, but I'm not sure that it's big enough to power the pump.  It's 10g wire and goes into the main harness like it's factory.  I can't think of anything else this would be for.

2004 212 Captiva Liberty Edition

Comments

• Options
    nobody has any idears?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    The trim pump harness would also have a 2-wire connector for the signal from the helm switch.  Do you see that anywhere?
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the red goes to the pump and the black the -ve lug, is your trim switch jammed on? That explains power there.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Currently everything works as it should.  Trim switch is hooked up and looks factory, but i'm trying to sort out the power to the pump.  Currently it is hard wired direct to the battery with what semi looks like factory wires (they are extra long, but bundled nicely on the pump bracket), or a good quality re-wire.  BUT, I found this extra wire hanging and was connected to the battery with a blown fuse.  The odd part is it has power on the fuse wire opposite the battery so it was doing nothing.  The ground lug has two wires crimped in and it definitely looks factory.

My guess is that this was the original wiring to the pump, it blew the fuse (keep in mind it's only a 20A fuse) and they couldn't figure it out so they ran a direct wire (both positive and negative) direct to the pump.  Then the next owner saw the wire hanging and hooked it to the battery since both the pump and battery sit next to each other.   I come along and move the battery, and figure out that this isn't right.

This all makes perfect sense, except for the fact that I think the pump is going to pull more than 20 amps, and I don't know that it is supposed to be running through the main harness with a 10g wire.  Remember, it is a red/black wire just like what runs the rest of the electrical circuits.  

I haven't chased the wire through the loom, but there is a red/black wire that comes from the breaker on the engine and heads to the console to power everything else.  I'm guessing this splices into that wire.  It just seems you wouldn't want the trim pump powered via the same wire that powers everything else in the boat and a 10g with a 20A fuse just seems small, but maybe I am assuming the pump uses more than it does?
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    From the data I have the 20A fuse is just for the solenoid, power routes up to switch on throttle and back to solenoid on the red/black wire via the 20A fuse. There is a 110A fuse for the actual pump itself that would come from the battery via that fuse.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    There is a small round fuse holder on the pump itself which is on the switch wiring.  I think that is the 20A that should be there, so I think that is right.  This other 20A fuse could have been a different value at some point, but definitely not a 110A.  I guess to simplify, there is 2 questions that might narrow it down.

1.  Does the power for the pump wire directly to the top of the battery via it's own wires, or does it feed through the main harness via the breaker on the top of the engine and then make its way to battery power?  I think my old 182 was direct.

2.  What other purpose could these wires provide? -- Seeing how 12v is on the opposite side of the fuse than the lug, it would either provide power for something, or it could be a charge wire from the alternator to the battery.  I am definitely leaning towards the first option because the Alt should be charging via a connection at the starter and then through the main battery cable.
  • Options
    This is currently how it is hooked up.  The two orange arrows are the wires in question.  They are currently wired direct to the battery, but these other wires (on the left) are hanging right by the trim pump and look like they belong on the pump, or something else nearby.  These are the two that were attached to battery, that I don't believe belonged there.  Power is on the +12v side, and NOT on the end of the wire with the lug when the fuse is out.  This tells me it is to supply power to something.  The +12 wire is red with black stripe.  There are two solid black wires in the gnd lug, one is 10g the other is about a 16g.  These are the wires in the previous pictures.