so whats up wirh the clamp?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Engine Discussions
Starting to put my bellows back together...gooed up the shift cable boot and put that on...tightened up the clamp and the clamp and boot slid right off! So I put it on again pushing it on I thought...went to put the u joint bellows on and noticed that the clamp for the shift cable boot was in the way- went to loosen it and turn it a little and the thing had slid off again, almost like it is tapered....what's up with that?

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I let it get tacky, don't understand as I tightened it down it pushed off the mount..will try again tomorrow..and get this done!
    @Alswagg I bought the merc bellows stuff...I assume once it gets tacky, time to slide together and I also assume you want the clamps tightened down before it dries. I'm sure this all second nature to you and others- if I don't do this right I sink the boat!
    The other thing I find odd about these parts, the u joint bellows where it connects to the bell housing has grooves in the housing and a "shape" in the bellows so when you push that ring in- it ain't going no where unless you rip the bellows. On the other end it is glue and a clamp, same with the shift cable. If the bellows did not move I guess I would not be so concerned. Just seems like a big potential to pull either of these bellows off raising and lowering the drive...
    Ok @Alswagg , I get the bell housing side, I see the groove on the transom side but I don't see anything going in to it?