Options

CO2 alarm from Generator while at anchor

I have a 342 with a 5E generator. While on the hooks, my CO2 alarm in g the cabin goes off with or without blowers running.  Calm wind.  I even installed two more blowers and have the exhausting out of all four side vents in hopes of drawing it out.  I have a new muffler as well as new hose. Generator is running like a top. Need ideas.  Thx

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it was battery gas on another boat
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If all the canvas up while in the hook the air will vacuum back in the cabin,maybe try to open the front hatch for air flow. Genny is new to me this year I have some things to learn. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    CrewLoungeCrewLounge Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    yea make sure that your canvas is open in the front and the rear. Our door seals are not the best and the A/C is trying to suck air in all the time. You need free flowing air past that cabin door. If its windy that wont happen but if I run my genny at the dock with the front canvas closed and rear canvas open with no wind (or some wind from behind) I'm known to get an alarm. Have to make sure the CO has somewhere to go. Likely it is not coming from the engine room, it is exhaust from the side making its way in your boat. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    edited August 2017
    @CrewLounge - you said "on the hooks" ... was that a typo?  Or did you literally mean two anchors at the bow and stern?  

If you have two anchors, your boat can't swing with the wind.  A gentle breeze coming from the back of the boat can easily blow generator exhaust into the cabin.  You probably knew that, but I thought I'd mention it.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea good point
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @ LaRea said - the rule for using a generator is to NEVER use two anchors as the boat can not swing with the wind which will allow CO into the boat. Some boat manuals even specify that.
  • Options
    CrewLoungeCrewLounge Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Ok. Never heard that, but I will try.