Options

342 front berth mattress

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
Pondering replacing the original front berth 'pads' with a 'real' mattress.  For anyone who has done similar:

How did you deal with covering the storage bins under the front berth?
Did you keep the part that extends over the bow cabinet?  Keep the wood piece or do something else?  Or just cut it straight across?

thanks!  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where would you get that made? At least you can fit up there! I would also think that the mattress could lay over the bin holes just fine. 
  • Options
    There is a custom mattress place close to me, already doing one for the rear berth, will have that in 2 weeks to test out.  It was the easier one!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    How thick, what material and how much for the rear berth? Do tell
  • Options
    I stayed with the 5" high it is now so it fits the same way, shortened it a bit to allow for tucking sheets in, have it split to get access to the A/C and toilet strainers.

Went with 4" of latex and 1" of a firmer foam on the backside, plus the quilted cover.  Will run me about $1,400.  Going to be way cooler than on vinyl and more comfy too.  I'll confirm once I can try it out!

Might go thicker for the front berth if I do it, more room there.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    split the front too?
  • Options
    Front would be split for sure, 2 maybe 3 sections.  Be a PITA to get in if one piece.  TBD

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Before picture had a wooden frame enclosure,  After picture the frame was removed and an aluminium extender was made for the base to accommodate a much longer and wider custom mattress. Thank MT for the engineering start to finish of that custom upgrade.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume 1st pick is as factory....i would love to just have that. My 270 has a lot of pluses which is why we selected it- forward berth is for sure one of the minus! I'm 5'10, admiral is 5' so we fit ok but....
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bry1429. Very glad you like it!!!!! I will pass your comment on to the Admiral. I did the aluminum fabrication and installation. The Admiral had the foam professionally redone to + Rinker specs and personally re-sewed a new mattress cover. As well, we made sure the mattresses were almost the same size to make moving them easier. The net result a king sized bed that has plenty of room for two!  As you know the Admiral also custom fitted a Laura Ashley 4" mattress cover and custom draw string duvet! Bry - we are so happy you and your Admiral like it as we spent a lot of time on that project! P.S. I just told the Admiral and she said she felt lost this Spring without any projects for the boat! :-)
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Michael T said:
    @bry1429. Very glad you like it!!!!! I will pass your comment on to the Admiral. I did the aluminum fabrication and installation. The Admiral had the foam professionally redone to + Rinker specs and personally re-sewed a new mattress cover. As well, we made sure the mattresses were almost the same size to make moving them easier. The net result a king sized bed that has plenty of room for two!  As you know the Admiral also custom fitted a Laura Ashley 4" mattress cover and custom draw string duvet! Bry - we are so happy you and your Admiral like it as we spent a lot of time on that project! P.S. I just told the Admiral and she said she felt lost this Spring without any projects for the boat! :-)

@Michael T , YES WE LOVE IT! We sleep better on it than our overpriced "sleepnumber" at home. The only down side is its tuff to get out of bed in the morning to enjoy the day, TOOO COMFY !  been doing many upgrades and will post pics soon. When you coming to Chicago for a"360"River tour ?!?!?!? I'm sure you remember how to Captain the Black Beauty ?!?

Post edited by bry1429 on
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

@bry1429 - the Admiral and I would love to see your up-grades! Are you kidding - that would be AWESOME. Get them posted, brother!

Yeah, we'd love to come to Chicago to see you, the Admiral and your boat. But I warn you - I miss her.....so if you let me near the helm you had better hand cuff me to something or I might make a "run for the border". LOL

Just finished a round of Chemo and a transfusion this week. (three more to go - one every four months until December, 2018). Having a great time!

In about 10 days we leave for a month in Aruba - REALLY looking forward to that!

When I get some packing done I'll give you guys a phone call!

Life is great!!!!! This forum is beyond AWESOME....sooo many great posters (like you) and all of the new guys - what a great bunch - makes for great reading and amazing ideas.

Wish I still had a boat to try some of them out.

Who needs a friggin' subscription to boating magazines? This forum SMOKES all of them! :-)