Options

Leaky port light and moisture in hull

I just picked up a 2001 FV270. The only place the survey found moisture is on the forward port side port light (see pic). When closed, spray from a hose or spray while on plane will wet the back cushion directly under on the inside. 

Any advice on where to start? How concerned should I be with the hull moisture? Should that solve itself once the leak is repaired?

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar issue and fixed.  I removed the port window completely and resealed it with 4200.  There's threads on this about the subject if you search.

I also removed the windshield screws and rebedded them as well as all the snap studs in the area.

That solved my wet carpet issues.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Ahh great point on the windshield. I'm nervous about taking the windows out, but I guess I need to get over it. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been several guy's taking out window and rebidding with 4200, My caulking was deteriorated in the picture (pencil pointing at missing caulk)
    Re-caulked all around with 4200 leak stopped.  I do not think it would be that hard to remove the window, if needed. Oh congratulations, whats the name of your vessel?  

Boat Name : 

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not do it till winter storage time (and when the temp is warm enough for the 4200)... preferably a sunny day.  I did mine in the water and got that 4200 all over the **** place.   Will be giving it a redo this winter, plus doing all the windshield screws, and bow rail screws on the front port side of the boat. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be just moisture behind the vinyl too

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭
    I just did my head starboard porthole Saturday after finding water behind the cupboard and confirming with a hose it was coming in from the porthole dribbling down the inside of the hull. Popped the screws from the inside frame and pulled it out then put a fan in there - the trusty Ryobi - blowing down into the gap until all dry. 4200 around the chrome frame, pushed the window fraqme back in and screwed down again then cleaned up as best possible the wet 4200. Left fan in head cupboard hole overnight pointing up to ensure the inside was dry as there is padding there, next day closed it all up and cleaned off the dry 4200 from chrome and frame with a plastic scraper and cleaner. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Thanks, Ian. I'll try taking it apart this weekend.
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Tape up around over stainless  outside window frame than cut around when u chalk it in pull tape makes for a clean looking job and easy clean up
    2002 Rinker FV 342