Options

Horizon 600 windlass

We recently purchased a new Fiesta Vee 342 and the first time we used the anchor the line snapped. We consulted Dark Horse Marine who told us we needed the 1/2" 3 strand nylon with a 1/4" chain so we purchased that and installed it. When we try to pull up the anchor it catches in the teeth but does not release and the rope just gets coiled in the gypsum. Any suggestions on what is wrong? We originally wanted to get the 8 plait and were told that it would not work in the windlass.

Comments

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 2003 and have wrestled with mine constantly.  My chain will work ok 90% of the time but the rope part of the rode is troublesome. Some have switched to all chain and had better luck others...just got rid of the windlass and upgraded it completely.  What i have noticed on mine is that there are a few missing parts.  If you look closely at old diagrams they had a part that acted as a "stripper".  This helped to peal the chain or rode off the gypsy.  Finding parts is almost impossible for that windlass. Good luck.  I end up using two people most time.  One to work the switch and one with a screw driver to unpry the rode.  Just another thing on my list to upgrade.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    caik01caik01 Member Posts: 39
    thanks im hearing this windlass is junk and think I will just upgrade it
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Possibly but if functioning - driving up and down - it’s likely ether the gypsum is worn or your rope is getting caught because it’s too small for the gypsy, it’s gripping but locking in due to being smaller than the gypsy works with  I replaced mine with a Pro 1000 as it had failed being more than 110 years old and Lewmar were very helpful about making sure the chain and rope rode correctly matched the gypsy on the unit. Mine is 5/8 as I think the prior rope was.
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    caik01caik01 Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2017
    thank you, I think I will just replace it
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They gave you the wrong size... I have 8 strand with the bigger rope and it works great!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    I too have 8 plait - 5/8 though. That's what made me think the 1/2" is the issue, if the motor is winding okay I doubt it's the issue. If you go for a new windlass it will need a gypsy for 1/2".

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    i have the same windlass and replaced 1/2 3 strand with 5/8 8 plait.  It has been slipping worse than the old crusty 3 strand was.  The problem spot is actually the splice onto the chain.  It is just too large.  I tried to get rid of some of the bulk but it didn't help.  It is still frustrating.  Most of the time i try to not let it go past the chain.  So do you spend $500 on 100ft of 1/4 chain and make it all chain or $800 on a new windlass and then likely another $400 on new rode.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe I have the same Horizon 600 on my 342. I have 30 ft of chain and then 8 plait. It works great, no issues. The 8 plait line is thicker, I dont know exactly but it has to be around 3/4". Definitely thicker than 1/2" and 5/8". @Alswagg may know what it came with originally. I believe mine is original and again it works well, the only change I've made is that the lifter arm was not pressing down so I re set it and lubricated the spring and all is well. If I stop at the splice on the way up it doesnt like to catch the line but as long as I dont stop until before or after the splice it is great. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I also have 30ft of chain and then 8 plait rode. The only issue I have is more often than not, it slips where the rode is weaved to the chain. I put a remote on mine so sometimes I'll go up to the bow and hold the tension arm on the rode or I'll send my wife to do it.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have the same windlass and replaced 1/2 3 strand with 5/8 8 plait.  It has been slipping worse than the old crusty 3 strand was.  The problem spot is actually the splice onto the chain.  It is just too large.  I tried to get rid of some of the bulk but it didn't help.  It is still frustrating.  Most of the time i try to not let it go past the chain.  So do you spend $500 on 100ft of 1/4 chain and make it all chain or $800 on a new windlass and then likely another $400 on new rode.
    I have the same problem but opposite, slips where the chain meets the rope, but it's because the rope isn't big enough... 
  • Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem.  Tried 1/2" 3 strand then 5/8 8 plait, still slipped.  Brought this chain on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWYE3KA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and problem solved for about $320.  It's sold in 50' length but if you buy two you can email the seller and request they send it in one 100' length.  Needless to say that my UPS driver was not happy bringing the package to my front door.  :#