Options

Water coming in somewhere?!?!?!

It's a 2001 340 Fiesta Vee.  I have a slow leak coming from somewhere in my boat.  I've checked all lines, openings, everything.  My bilge pump turns on every other minute and kicks some water out. My mechanics currently have both motors out due to them getting replaced and have put the boat back in a handful of times and still can not find it.  Please tell me someone has experienced this before and can help me out.
2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the boat is in the water with no engines??
  • Options
    Which bilge pump comes on? 
  • Options
    Have you eliminated the domestic water system?
  • Options
    CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    The bilge in the engine compartment.  The boat is on a trailer now. They have been putting the boat in the water to try and find leak. They thought it was a loose line but have not been able to find anything. But water keeps trickling down to back of boat from front once the pull boat out
  • Options
    Steering pins in outdrives or thru hulls leaking
  • Options
    Or transom plates
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or just about anything...get down in there and see what's going on! Motors out should be easier to figure this out!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coming from the front of the boat?  Check your A/C water lines

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Definitely coming from front of boat
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have a lot of places there to deal with, but all thru hulls which is dangerous- if one of those breaks loose, well...id be in there finding each one, checking clamps and the valves...i found a leak in my transom I could not seem to find either...water is tricky. Has it been raining? You can have water coming in from poorly dealer screws..all sorts of places!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cracked A/C strainer? 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    AC on?  Condensation not draining?
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    All recent test were done while the ac was turned off.
  • Options
    If it isn't rain then all it could be is an underwater thru hull fitting. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    A bit confused:

"My bilge pump turns on every other minute and kicks some water out. My mechanics currently have both motors out due to them getting replaced and have put the boat back in a handful of times and still can not find it."

So how much is kicked out? Is the float just on the edge that it's tripping often? Seems if there's a decent amount of water - not just "trickling down" as noted in another post - it should be easier to find with motors out. Have they closed everything up?

If water is "trickling down" when pulled is it possible it's water going forward from the aft area that is then draining or trickling back by gravity as you pull up the ramp?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    When the bilge comes on it clicks on for a 1 or 2 seconds and stops.  More like it spits out water rather than turning on and constantly running.  I have been in the boat while sitting at my doc and I have personally seen water slow come from the front of the boat to the back.  As I open the AC panels from downstairs I can see water coming down the middle of the boat from the front, not the ac.  Which I originally thought it would have been.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are seeing the water from the aft cabin a/c valve area then it could be coming from the galley or head sinks or the shower or the toilet. Have you shut off all of the water coming in via the dockside hose and freshwater pump to make sure it is not internal water?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    That sounds like one of those automatic bilge pumps that don't use a float switch. I have seen the discharge line come off creating an endless cycle
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    But he’s getting a spurt out meaning it’s likely connected but the auto bilge idea is similar to my float toggling thought. Based on the last description of water owing in past the AC it sounds crack-in-the-hull like.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    They do make(rule) An automatic pump which checks for pressure every so often only continues to run if water present,there is no check valve that may be why u see a little spurt of water
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Rule makes one that checks for resistance on the impeller every 15 seconds or so
    if
    resistance is present it turns on
    i installed one in my old dancer
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All recent test were done while the ac was turned off.

Through hull or A/C line strainer, or even A/C pump flange leak will always drip if not leak tight, even when the aircon is not running, as they are all below the water line. Please check everything where your through hulls come in for head, and water for aircon.  A few drips a second adds up pretty quickly and will turn your bilge pump on regularly.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I am going down this afternoon to check on progress @MarkB I appreciate everyones responses