Options

Replacing Belt Tensioner

WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
Has anyone needed to replace a belt tensioner before?  My port engine lost the belt last year once and twice this year.  I'm not sure what's going on other than it seems to be working its way loose.
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I have ever heard of with a belt tensioner going bad is the bearing in the wheel, not the spring. They are pretty tuff. Have you had some other repairs done recently that perhaps the alignment is off? Does it feel like it's loose when you pull on it? Has the belt been recently changed and perhaps the wrong one installed? I'm sure you can replace the tensioner but I would think if that were the problem the belt would be just flying off as quickly as you put it on!
  • Options
    Belts have been replaced each year.  Where is there alignment adjustments?  Its starting to happen a bit too often and at the worst times.   I was coming out of the river with a massive freighter behind me at dark last night.   Not fun... Luckily i made it to the lake and was able to tuck along the wall while relacing the belt.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Are you sure your installing the correct belt part number?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    2 differnet local dealership have replaced the belts while in for other service.   I would assume so, but who knows.  I guess I should double check.  It just doesnt seem to be as tight as the other belt.  I think someone has rounded the tighenting shaft slightly, seems hard to get good bite on it.   

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭
    I didn’t know there was alignment possible, when the PS pump of the port side went last year and I replaced it  didn’t have the pulley down that last 1/16” and when she warmed up I got a squeak. After checking with pump supplier, I realized the error, got it pushed down and no more squeak - ie aligned correctly. I though based on correct fitment of pumps etc alignment was inherent, it just needed tensioning. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    i just had to replace the belt tensioner on my 5.7 volvo. sounded like my power steering pump was locking up.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throwing a belt is typically from running 'loose' or an accessory with failing bearings causing too much drag and the belt will throw when you decelerate the engine. A failing tensioner bearing usually gets quite noisy, look for looseness in it with the belt off. 

Correct belt is always key. All the pulleys should be checked for damage too.  

There should be nothing to align, all the brackets/ect should have that covered. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really struggled with the right belt as there are differences based on alpha/bravo, year and cooling configuration. I figured it out by entering my engine serial number in to marineengine.com and pulling up the options. The lengths changed around 03. Could be too long of a belt. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)