The dreaded noise

Lovely day, pulled away from the berth, and suddenly a grinding noise from the outleg. Managed to limp back lifted the hatch but no indication other than it seems to be coming from the rear of the engine. Oh dear more expense (#~#<>*)

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what is your plan of attack? Have you checked the drive oil? Can you turn the props by hand in neutral, is the boat out of the water??
  • terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Hi Ras at the moment the boat is in the water I think I should have changed the bellows this year although they appeared ok. The oil in the leg was clear and topped up. But I noticed a film of salt over the engine, which puzzled me I think that t points to water Ingres somewhere there was a little water in the bilge. My unit is Volvo 5.7 fuel injection with duo pro 290 not Dpx they are bad news. Trolling the net suggests u/v joints caused by split bellows. That's a warning folks.  Not being a millionaire I'm not looking forward to the bill. Has anyone had a similar problems I would be pleased for advice. Happy boating.  Terry
  • CaptianDanCaptianDan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Doesn't sound good Terry.:-(  If the noise is definitely coming from the outdrive I would pull the boat, remove the outdrive as testing, engaging gear, further could cause more damage to the gear set.
    Possible causes:
    1. Engine coupler - Does the grinding appear in neutral or only in gear?  There would be obvious noise in the bilge towards the rear mounts.
    2. Gear Set - When was the last internal drive inspection?
    3. UJ Bearings would knock more than grind but could be what you're experiencing.  Does it only happen when you turn?  Excessive turns would likely become more noticeable.

"Pipe Dream"
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    2 x 350 MAG MPI Horizon Petrol

• terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Hi Capt, well things have progressed, it appears the Gimble bearing is shot. I'll get confirmation from the engineer tomorrow evening. The noise came on suddenly as I pulled away and is constant in or out of gear, I now don't think it's the U/J as there is no knocking but it may be wishful thinking as for the last internal inspection I have never had the leg apart Tomorrow I'll know as soon as the engineer has done his bit