Options

Opening Fuel Tank- Explosive fume concerns.

WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
I am about to pull the fuel pickup tubes out on my 342.  When i do, how do i protect myself against explosive fumes mitigating from the tank?  What is the protocol here?
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have air moving out
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd get someone you don't like to do it..jk- I'd think like handy says just make sure you gave good ventilation and no sparking!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe put a rag or masking tape over the holes also. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've pulled fuel lines and had dripping in the engine room. I wipe up all wet fuel and then run the blower for at least 20 min. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest touching a ground point before you start and if possible hold onto with one hand as you pull with other so any possible charge built up  is sunk to ground straight away. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Pay attention to your tools.  A cordless drill is not kosher.  Use a screwdriver.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not use a rag for any lenght of time to cover the opening, you can easily get spontaneous combustion. 

If you plan to pull the pickup/senders out for quick inspection you will be ok. Great points above about being grounded!  Keep air moving thru the area. 

Pics when you get them out would be great. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Hmm... Using a fan to move air scares me.  Any old regular fan is likely not explosion proof.  When i pull the pick up tube out, I assume my tank now has a large hole and vapors will start pouring out.  Or am i wrong, now i thing more about it fuel vapors are heavier then air so they technically should not rise at all?  Just the drips coming off of the tube.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    brianc613brianc613 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Get a shop fan and turn it on before you start. Once the sender is out leave the fan on for the entire time it is out and for a while after its back in. If you do this then the fuel/air mixture  wI'll not get to the point where it can ignite.