Options

Speaking of boat quality ......

BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I see mentioned around, during discussions, of who makes good boats, whos good and bad etc. As found I out on the weekend, they sure ALL have issues. The owner at my work, bought a new Four Winns H350 new last year. Full load, all options, twins 502HOs, etc.  Had many issues right from the start, mostly all electrical stuff. Gen not working, Nav issues, etc etc. many attempts were made to fix, with mostly no good result. This winter it went BACK TO THE FACTORY, to get it all fixed. Came home this year, with a lot fixed.....but some worse issues. No starts on one engine, tons of random codes, and reduced power, more electrical issues, nav and trim tabs not working, etc. Many attempts to fix again THIS year with poor result. Supposed all fixed last week.

Dropped him off in my boat to pick up this weekend,at marina  ( he was quite impressed with mine actually for what it is)....I leave him and head back to his place as we were staying there. Was just getting dark when I got back to his place. Thinking he should only be a half hr or so behind, after an hr we called him. After messing with it for 40 min at dock trying to get it started(clearing codes in VV, trying different starting techniques), he gets it going.....its now dark. He gets out in water half way home......in dark....and Nav/trim tabs,etc dies.  So now he's stuck trying to get around through the Thousands island....with no nav. Was not good to say the least. We did use it sat for the poker run, but had repeated issues, clear codes, hard starts, etc. Now, it IS a super nice boat(those 502s sound soooo good WOT).....but just goes to show, they sure all have issues. At the price point of this thing, Id be some upset to say the least! Sounds like its going after this weekend. I'll keep my Rinker!!

2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ABMXZ....exactly what I have seen with a number of big brands. IMO you simply can not get anywhere near a Rinker for the price.Tthen there are all the extra features like room in the head and head room! LOL
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    rinker is a huge bang for the buck...   Also with used boats, most of the issues have been sorted out.. so you only have to deal with wear and tear type issues :)
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've looked at the over head view of 1000 islands, no way in the dark. Throw out the anchor. To bad for that guy, he spent a wad on that boat not to be able to use it. I didn't think you could get 502's anymore? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    I've looked at the over head view of 1000 islands, no way in the dark. Throw out the anchor. To bad for that guy, he spent a wad on that boat not to be able to use it. I didn't think you could get 502's anymore? 

Yep wasn't fun...luckly he knows the area somewhat well. Four wins still shows that engine available now as far as I can see...
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    the 502 with a catalytic converter replaced the 8.1/496 about four years ago in the merc lineup. GM stopped producing the 8.1/496 for its pickup trucks, as such they became unavailable from GM to Merc. Merc now have a 3rd party producing 502" short blocks built to merc specs. 
  • Options
    Good info, Had a boat with 502, loved it. Four Winns must not have quality control as good as Rinker. The boat left the factory twice and it was not 100% either time.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @randy56. there are two 502's out there. The old 502s from waaay back - I had a couple of those. Fill-up the engine with oil then get some gas LOL. Then there's the NEW 502's OR 8.2 Magnums. These are fuel efficient (relatively speaking) technological wonders. I had two in my 2014 EC 360. They were absolutely amazing engines. State-of-the-art technology at the time. Google the new 502 or better yet 8.2 Magnum from Mercury. Incredible engines.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    randy56 said:
    Good info, Had a boat with 502, loved it. Four Winns must not have quality control as good as Rinker. The boat left the factory twice and it was not 100% either time.
    @randy56 Four Winns from what I have been told (dont know much about them) is a gloried lake boat. Not really the best of quality. There are 2 at my club with all kinds of problems............ Just say'n 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    randy56 said:
    @randy56 Four Winns from what I have been told (dont know much about them) is a gloried lake boat. Not really the best of quality. There are 2 at my club with all kinds of problems............ Just say'n 
    Well Rinkers do too, just read this forum for a few weeks!!
  • Options
    Handy I have got to tell you. Out of all the boats at my club my boat seems to get the most "pop" when we have visitors there. Everyone says "what a nice looking boat" and truth be told most members when doing a comparison always use my boat.............. Just say'n..... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Handy I have got to tell you. Out of all the boats at my club my boat seems to get the most "pop" when we have visitors there. Everyone says "what a nice looking boat" and truth be told most members when doing a comparison always use my boat.............. Just say'n..... 
    Looks are good to have but how much have you spent on your boat this year Bro??? Just sayin
  • Options
    Well craft, Chris craft, Hurricane, Mariah, Crest, Crownline, Prince craft, Starcraft, Sun Tracker, Thunder Craft, Polar Craft, Sea Ray, Summer set, 3 Yamaha jet ski's, Rinker. These are the boat brands I have personally owned. Ranking each for 1 to 10 in Quality,  I have to give Rinker a 9. The lowest quality was Tracker marine, highest was Mariah. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Handy the money spent on my boat was because of merc and not Rinker but it was a freaking lot..........lol
  • Options
    That may be true however some of us had bad transoms causing cracks
  • Options
    That may be true however some of us had bad transoms causing cracks
    No Handy I think its the other way around. My old vertical steering shaft leaked and caused my transom problems. 2 times once on each side............ Just say'n..