Options

Checklists and schedules

We have recently purchased a 2003 342 Fiesta Vee.  It's currently in the process of being trucked from NH to GA.  After years of runabouts and pontoons, this is our first big boat.  

Does anyone have a precruise checklist and a maintenance schedule/checklist for a cabin cruiser you'll share?  And a checklist for "we're leaving the boat in the slip for a week or two" checklist?  I'm looking for things like which systems to leave running vs. which to shut down?  Which seacocks to close vs. which to keep open?

I've already gotten a lot from searching the forums; you guys are a wealth of information.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will you be keeping your boat in the water or on a lift? Mine is on a lift so all I do is drop in the water and turn twin keys on and go. 
  • Options
    SoulGravySoulGravy Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    In the water on Lake Lanier in GA.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll chime in as I keep my boat in a slip.

Arriving to the boat checklist.  We usually arrive Friday evenings.

1.  Inspect dock / boat externals and make sure nothing around looks suspicious
    2.  Once settled open engine hatch and check oil and give a general inspection of engine room
    3.  Check other seacocks in aft cabin for anything unusual.
    4.  weather is nice remove canvas windows and prepare for a great weekend.
    5.  Open a beer turn on some tunes and go on spider duty.
    6.  Wife is usually in cabin working on getting that situated.

Leaving the boat

1.  Make sure all helm switches are off.
    2.  Give another visual inspection to the engine room...make sure nothing suspicious
    2.  Set AC to a good temp usually 75 degrees
    3.  Inspect dock lines / bumpers and make sure they are secure.
    4.  Put camper top on.
    5.  Wife usually works on the cabin and clears that out for departure.

That's about it that I can think of.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Congrats and welcome!  You're gonna love that 342.

Closing seacocks is a prudent thing to do.  However, in practice, most owners of well-maintained boats feel comfortable leaving the seacocks open for the entire summer.  
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Every time I leave the boat, I follow two routines to make sure I don't forget anything.  Obsessive-compulsive?  You be the judge:

1) In the cockpit, I check the canvas zippers by physically touching each one to make sure it is closed.  Not just looking - I actually touch each zipper with my hand, even if I know it's already zipped.

2) Before I walk away from the boat, the last thing I do is count:  six dock lines, two fenders and one shore power cable.  I actually say to myself, six-two-one while I'm checking.  

I developed these routines after watching small-plane pilots do pre-flight checks.  When my natural urge is to hurry up, the routines force me to slow down and think.  You'd be surprised how often I notice things that I otherwise would have missed. 
  • Options
    SoulGravySoulGravy Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    This is great stuff.  I do appreciate it.  I'm taking it that most leave the A/C running in the summer, although probably the temp is probably set a little higher than when in use.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave my AC on humidity mode, which cycles the AC on every few hours. Some leave it on all the time.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I have similar open up routine, check all looks good, pop on bilge to see if anything comes out and open up to vent. If hot, on goes A/C then a quick sweep/wipe of accumulated bugs etc. in 10-15 all done. Leaving - zip, close, etc, A/C on humidity mode (thanks to what I read here I worked that out a while ago), fresh water pump off, all off on helm and like @LaRea check 4 lines, 3 fenders, secure power cord and Y connector covered and shore water disconnected as we walk off.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/