New Digital Instrument displays

BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
I want to upgrade my analog display on my 2004 Fiesta Vee 310.  I want to install a i70s Multifunction Instrument display unit.  Can I upgrade and will I need any special cabling?

Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,728 mod
    You will need a gateway to convert the SmartCraft data traffic to NMEA-2000 (N2K), which can be read by the i70s or any new-ish chartplotter.  There are a few gateways out there.  The best is Mercury's Vessel View Link Multi-Engine (which, unfortunately, costs about $800).  

You'll also need a SmartCraft junction box to network the two engines together.  That can be tricky, and finding good info online is notoriously difficult.  Best bet, contact Mercury and tell them what you want to do.  Call 920-929-5040 or go through their web site:

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/contact/mercruiser-customer-assistance 

• diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭✭
    The best thing about VesselView is that not only does it display a ton of information, but it also acts as a gateway and sends smartcraft data into the NMEA2000 network. 
  • BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help.Big project for the winter season.
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason I just like the old fashion dial type gauges......weird I'm sure.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bayrunner, don't forget to get terminating resistors for any ports that are not used, to avoid an open circuit.
    I like analog, but I like digital better because it can calculate miles-per-gallon in real time.  That's an important and useful indicator of the boat's overall health.  If you always get 1.2 mpg at 30 mph, and it suddenly goes down to 1.0, you know something's wrong even if you can't hear or feel it.  It's an early warning system. 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what did you get going up the Bay???
    Uhhh, my 370 will never be accused of getting 1.2 mpg.  That's 342 territory!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,652 mod
    LaRea said:
    Uhhh, my 370 will never be accused of getting 1.2 mpg.  That's 342 territory!

Wow, you had me wondering!  If you had, I'd be wondering what went wrong with the 400!  I averaged 0.8mpg on my last trip.  This was an average across many conditions and over 400 miles, including against and with tides/wind, calm and 3-4ft chop, mostly cruise speed from 27-33mph.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Actually, I can get 1.2 mpg at 6 mph.  At cruise speed, it's 0.8 mpg.  In 4-foot chop with full trim tabs running 24 mph, it drops down to 0.7.