Options

Hatch

I have dead batteries and the hatch won't open without.  I brought shore power to the boat and it's still not charging and nothing is working..am I missing something.  Also, is there a way to open the hatch cover to get at the batteries manually?
Rinker 270 Fiesta V 2005

Best Answers

• Options
    teryl2mckinneyteryl2mckinney Member Posts: 6
    Answer ✓
    OK got it...I'm afraid to ask this but will my car battery work on the post?
    Thanks so much for your help..

Answers

• Options
    thank You,  shouldn't I be getting power while plugged into shore power?  My batteries hav ebeen dead for a while and I'm not getting any charge, while these were new batteries.
    Thanks again,
  • Options
    Does it matter which cable goes on which post by the battery + or -   or  black or red. It doesn't indicate and they both look the same.   I'm a girl and have never done this Lol
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    The posts control closing and opening depending on which posts you contact with + and -.  So positive on one post and neg on the other will open it.  Reverse that and it will close it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh and shore power will only run the AC type things in your boat...air conditioning, fridge, battery charger.  It will not effect any 12v systems.  Like @LaRea mentioned your charger may not be working.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Or your batteries are so far down the charger can’t pick them up. Or a bad contact between charger and batteries.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When charger kicks on u can here the fan on it (if all is quite).
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the cabin, at your electric panel, is the top switch on shore main? it should be, and all breakers on, for now anyway. The switch should not be on generator. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    RodyRody Member Posts: 2
    I am new in boating, but I would like to know if the 2 screws that are in the battery selector serve to make jump in case of running out of batteries in the water (without shore line) besides, what is + and -? (the 2 are covered in red) thank you and excuse my ignorance
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rody said:
    I am new in boating, but I would like to know if the 2 screws that are in the battery selector serve to make jump in case of running out of batteries in the water (without shore line) besides, what is + and -? (the 2 are covered in red) thank you and excuse my ignorance
    I believe what you are talking about are the posts to power your engine hatch if your batteries are dead or out of the boat.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    RodyRody Member Posts: 2
    I think so, but I have a jump n carry (12 v jump starter) to give power, which terminal is red and which one is black? on the battery switch the two are covered by a red plastic
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter. Just put one cable to each post and try it. Switch cables to opposite posts to go the other way. They're designed to run the hatch up or down.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hook up your jumper, red or black doesn’t matter. If the first way you hook it up wants to close the hatch switch the wires around and it should open it.
    2008 330EC