Options

Noise After Coupler Replacement

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
As many remember I had to have my stbd coupler replaced a few weeks ago on my 06' 350 MAG MPI Horizon. I'm now noticing a tick/noise on that engine. I first noticed it when docking right after the coupler replacement and again last weekend when docking in neutral. This weekend it was there when I started the engine. It is not a loud knock like a thrown rod. It is not erratic, it is tick, tick, tick. Mechanic jumped in yesterday and said its not flappers and he doesn't think its exhaust which I know is common on these. He could not hear it at first, only I could hear it, but when I revved to 1500rpm he could start hear it. He revved it higher briefly and it didn't get louder or worse. He said it sounds like its at the bottom of the engine or back in the coupler area. He is coming back this week with a stethescope to narrow down. So the question is, is it possible that something is not right with the new coupler causing this? Thx
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start with rechecking the drive alignment.  Then look for wires/hoses etc that might be rubbing back there. look for loose wiring on the engine too from when it was pulled out. Could be a short too. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that you would hear anything like a tick from engine alignment? I would expect vibration....could be just about anything, it's a boat! Mine has a tick to it...I assume I have hydraulic lifters and there would be no real adjustments to the motor like that. There is lots of metal banging around in there for sure...
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Hoping it is nothing and that the mechanic can narrow it down later this week. Never fun to hear a noise in the engine room! 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first guess would be for a hydraulic lifter. That said, on my 2013 EC 310  a shift cable was routed over the bell housing and started "ticking". Thankfully it failed during an Axius sea trial by the area Merc representative - so it could be a mechanical fault as a result of the work that was done. Hopefully the alignment was checked after the work.
  • Options
    Tech went through the boat yesterday. Good news, the tick (which they call a light rumble or whatever) is not coming from the engine, its coming from behind the engine in the coupler/drive area. They think that it is the gimbal bearing. The theory is that when the coupler went (it ground out all splines when it went) that an angle or shavings did something to the Gimbal bearing which is now making a noise. They said to enjoy the boat this fall (we have a couple of short 15 mile trips planned) and replace the gimbal bearing this winter while the drives are off for alignment check. Very glad it is nothing on the engine and hopefully it is just the Gimbal! 

• Options
    I hope that is it, you be a minimal repair with the drives off...
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it's a light rumble and not a knock knock or a rap rap. @rasbury will come up and pull that gimbel baring out no problem. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I was going to say it but then the shop that did mine, I thought they would get it apart and then come back with that suggestion and the bellows @alswagg but that didn't happen for me and you know where that got me!
  • Options
    remember I was 100 miles from home when the coupler went. They did alignment on both drives and the coupler but I put them back a day at least, they wanted to get me done and get me home. Would have been ideal to do gimbal but it is what it is. Will do this winter, just really glad it's not anything in the engine making the noise. 

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I think if I was away from home, had a part failure, and was told I needed part A to get going I'd be a little leary if I was also told that parts B,C,..... could be done as long as we're in there.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    edited September 2017
    So we have not left the dock since the mechanic told us that he feels that our little noise from the rear is the gimbal bearing. Partially because of weather and other events and partially because I hate the feeling that everything is not "right". As I mentioned the mechanic couldn't hear it at first, had to run it for a bit and get it up to 1500rpm out of gear to get them to hear it. He told us we were fine to use the boat some this fall and we will remove the drives and do alignments and bearings this winter, check everything. Anyway.... this weekend we plan to go away for the weekend on the boat. 15 miles each way so two short runs. I am worried about doing further damage even though he said some use is fine. Should we be ok to run 15 miles each way with that slight bearing noise? Thanks! 

• Options
    Do you have Boat US towing or some other coverage?

I'm the same way.  I hate to take the boat out when I know something is "wrong".

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Yes I do have Boat US. Yea the noise will drive me nuts but one more trip to Put in Bay this weekend with three other boats on our dock would be awesome. Just dont want to turn the $300 bill I have on the table in to $3000 :wink: My gut says go take the admiral to the islands and enjoy the boat one more time this summer but my anal mind wanted to be sure.

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last week went fishing for while a hard left or right I would get a noise. Not bad but a noise. Getting close to the dock could hear it going straight but not loud but a noise. Sunday at the boat climed in the engine bay and had the admiral fire up the port and woc woc to loud to move the boat now. Did the gimbal in the spring think it's a U joint now. @Liberty44140 not trying to scare you off you have 2 motors and friends going just keep a sharp ear and shut down if you hear it get bad.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard of people greasing the gimbal bearing while the boat is in the water, if you have a grease gun maybe you can get some pumps in and quiet it down a little for the trip.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I will have the grease gun with me and if i can jump overboard at some point and pump in some grease I will. otherwise this is kinda what I was looking for, sounds like the sound will likely get worse before I do any damage and I'm sensitive to noises so if I hear it getting bad I'll just shut down and come in on one... or get a tow. i think I'll check in with the mechanic again to make sure he is really confident that I'll be ok for one more weekend with a couple goes running. Like I said, at this point you really have to listen to hear it. 

• Options
    Best of luck

• Options
    Was a great weekend! The noise is really only there at idle/neutral and when it is there only I can hear it. Likely wont do any more trips this year so will get it all fixed up this winter. 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Glad it went well!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express