Options

sound system amplifier

mrjdasrmrjdasr Member Posts: 12
2004 342 FV  my sound amp is connected to the stbd engine battery
 doesn't make sense to me   why would the single largest load be fed from a starting battery
 are all the 342 wired this way??

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will check mine this weekend, I thought mine came of the house bat. This is all so both amps?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is connected to the house battery. Someone rewired yours. My amp would last about 15 min on my old house batteries.  Actually it was my best indicator that the batteries were going bad and needed to be replaced.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    No, it should definitely be wired to the house battery.  Should be a red 2-gauge wire direct to the battery.  Sounds like somebody accidentally connected it to the wrong battery.
  • Options
  • Options
    thankyou for the response, the daughter and son in law had the boat out and told me when they shut off the stbd guest batt isolator the amp shut off also.
     that would mean the feed for the amp would come from the load side of the switch
    and not direct from a battery. think i better do some more investigating
  • Options
    It's only the stereo head unit that is wired to the battery switch (or, on some boats, to an ignition switch).  The head unit has a separate wire running to the amp that turns on the amp when you turn on the head unit.

The amps are wired direct to the battery.  
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Although, this schematic shows the head unit connected via the DC Main rather than the battery switch.

• Options
    so batt 2 shuts off the head unit, and indirectly the whole system  got that
    now to check this drwg out
  • Options
    now i see batt#2 shuts off stereo memory. the stereo is powered from cabin panel
    the amps from house batt
    now to figure what stereo memory does?? programable to control cockpit speakers??
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is that 7 amp fuse located? Someone was asking a while back. I think on a 342 it is on the main cabin panel.
  • Options
    i think that 7 amp fuse location is the key it needs constant power for the stereo memory  ahunting we will go starting with the line side of that 70 amp fuse
  • Options
    this 342 FV has a serious sound system
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrjdasr said:
    now i see batt#2 shuts off stereo memory. the stereo is powered from cabin panel
    the amps from house batt
    now to figure what stereo memory does?? programable to control cockpit speakers??
    The stereo memory is what keeps your preset stations in the radio along with the clock. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!