Options

Planning First Multi-day Trip

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Admiral and are are getting excited about a plan for our first multi-day trip. We have done a couple of over-nighters, staying in transient slips at marina’s but that’s it. This one will be 4 ½ days. Would have preferred earlier than the third week of September but schedules just wouldn't allow it. Counting on a few more bright sunny days even if a little cool at night. Maybe some fall colours will have started. Our route isn't outrageous, from the bottom end of Lake Simcoe, across Lake Couchiching and into the Trent-Severn canal/lock system to Georgian Bay to Midland and maybe Beausoleil Island and back. Approximately 240 miles return, depending on how adventurous we get and how the timing is going. About 30 to 40 percent is in no wake and speed controlled zones, so an easy sight-seeing tour. There are four locks to traverse, 3 regular lift locks and one very unique overland style lock. Picture a huge gantry with slings on rails. The Big Chute marine railway. For the curious, here’s a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTs7V-moy4E
I'm a little nervous because I've only locked through a couple of times in the past on a mild stretch of the Rideau and I wasn't the Captain, just a guest on another boat. But I’m now confident enough piloting our FV270 that I think I’ll be alright. I’ll throw out every buoy that I’ve got on board.
I haven’t figured out what, if any, spares I’ll carry other than fluids. Mabe a serpentine belt. We won’t be too far from any number of marine services and marina’s anyway, and I have a C-Tow membership, but that’s really only good on the Simcoe end and the Georgian Bay end, not while in the canal. I had thought about a spare battery or battery pack, but would like to skip the weight and don’t need another battery to service and keep track of. I do carry battery cables already and my two house batteries and starter battery are all new and in good shape.
I always have tools on the boat, tie wraps, electrical and emergency leak tape, lot’s of rope and all the requisite safety gear. Cell phones and spare batteries. A solar powered radio so I can listen to it without running the house batteries except for the fridge and a few lights. Some food and snackage, although there are many places to stop for meals and refreshments. I’ll be sure to keep the beer cooler full for anchor time. Haven’t decided whether to try and hit some marina’s or go on the hook. Probably a bit of both. I like the marina in Midland and have stopped there before in our old boat that we trailered in. Likewise, I’ve done other parts of the journey piece by piece that I could trailer to, but most of it will be new territory to me. I have paper charts and a Navionics chip with a route planned in the chart plotter. I know there’s a few of us on here that are from the area, anybody else done it? Any other suggestions or thoughts from others that have done multi day trips?

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Booze, lots and lots of booze...
  • Options
    GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Be very careful in Georgian bay. A dingy would be a plus if you do not no the area. Beausoleil island is get we tented there years ago. The marina rail way is quiet the experience.Have not done in ours yet.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Figure out what would happen if bad weather forces you to come home a day late.

File a float plan with friends, and keep them updated on where you are.

Pack the clothes you'll need, and then leave half of them at home.  Look for other ways to reduce weight and clutter.  

Bring some cash in case you want to tip the marina staff.  

Sounds like you are well-prepared!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sound's like you are prepared, beer, extra Qt engine oil, outdrive oil, soap, shampoo, towels, wash cloths, shaving cream, beer, hat, sun screen, bottle water, beer, ice, flashlights, cheese and crackers, 1 roll summer sausage, toilet paper, and do not forget the beer.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Sounds like a great trip Will. We were thinking of doing something similar but thought it might be too late in the year to try it... but you're really making me reconsider. 

Where about are you docked? We're in the Canals off of Ravenshoe. 
  • Options
    Okay.....lot's of beer.....that's a given. A dingy is on the future gear list. For now I'll just have to stick to the travelled channels. If we do get out on G Bay it'll likely just be a side trip from Midland. I'm fairly familiar with that area.
    @tk1973 we're right across the bay at Cooks Bay Marina. I was just over at Krates yesterday fuelling up. Those canals you're in are neat, I travelled through them last year in the old boat.
  • Options
    I kind of hate this time of year as you guys start talking about putting your boats up- and I'm not rubbing it in (as I often do) but the nice weather for us is really getting ready to start. Summer would not be so bad with our heat if you can get in the water but where I boat, two many dang gators to go jumping in willy nilly. Hopefully my leak is resolved or at least I will narrow it down and then I can come over to the coast which is only 45 miles from my house- not to worried about the intercostal and swimming at sand bars and such. We boat through the winter skipping those really brutal 45 degree days (now I'm rubbing it in a bit) but otherwise, we are out all year. I sure missed a lot of the summer with the bellows job I'm completing but was also changing jobs with a lot of other stuff going on so really lost the summer this year. Makes me sad to hear you all putting up your boats-
  • Options
    We just received an e-mail our docks are going out the first week end in November.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Our marina starts hauling out Oct 10th if you want winterizing done by the shop. Everyone out by Nov 1. Hoping for some nice weather in September....
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great trip! Post some pics for us poor guys with no holidays left :-(
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....or no boats left! :-(
  • Options
    10-4 on the pics. Local weather guru says that weather should be sunny and dry, if a little cool, and fall colours should have just started. They expect a banner year because of all the rain we had this summer so the trees and leaves are happy.
    Thinking that the traffic in the locks will be easier too.
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    @willhound, there is a guy who boats out of lake Simcoe that has traveled extensively throughout the region including taking the big chute. He has a blog called Boats Beaches and Bars. He has documented his travels with video on his blog, and some of the stuff is pretty informative. Just mentioning this as you may find the information useful, if not amusing. His boats all have been named "Boogaboo" so you may also be able to find his video collection and posts by searching for "Boogaboo" on Google. Good luck on your trip, safe travels and enjoy!! 
  • Options
    Thanks @wm61356
    I'll check it out. My three favourite things right in the title if the blog....mus be good. 
  • Options
    I did check out that blog. Interesting, but most of the videos are teasers designed to get you to pay YouTube for the longer versions. Regardless, getting more excited to depart next week. Will be preparing this weekend and the weather right now looks like it's going to be brilliant. After reading @Stodge's account of his trip (mine pales in comparison) it brought my attention to maybe changing out the two pulley's, idler and tensioner, and serpentine belt before departure. After looking around I found a great deal on E-Bay out of the US, even with exchange it saved me over $100.
    But wouldn't you know...the items were shipping out of Florida, so with Irma they've been delayed, so I may or may not have them before departure. Not worried, my belt still looks ok, and no indication the pulley's will be an issue, it was more preventative in nature. The boat has been running fantastic, starts at first twist of the key and all on-board systems are looking good. Will be re-looking at charts over the next few days, and checking fall operating hours for some of the stops we want to make on the way. One last hurrah for the season, although I don't plan on pulling her out for at least another 3 or 4 weeks.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Have a great time @willhound.  I'm replacing the tensioner pulleys this winter BTW.

Next year we're doing a short run up to Kincardine, Bayfield, Grand Bend and maybe Sarnia.  Still have to plan for (save up for) another run to Georgian Bay.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    edited September 2017
    The trips we did (which did not go well with weather) we did not really go anywhere, we just went to a marina for a week with the idea of exploring from there. First one we went to Sebastian Inlet area which is pretty remote and we stayed inside the inlet at a hotel/marina. I think we had owned the boat about a month- was scarred to death about getting on the road with it and launching at unknown spots- rained about 27 inches that week and the next year had a similar experience at another marina on the west coast- hope yours goes much better and I'm sure we will all hang on results of your trip! Would not hurt to throw a spare belt on board- pulleys, well you can only replace so much stuff that might go wrong but a belt is an easy one.
  • Options
    I just checked shipping  progress.  I should have the belt and maybe the pulleys before I leave, even if I don't get them changed.
  • Options
    Up early this morning and going over the route I created on my Navionics app and uploaded to my chartplotter. For anybody familiar with the Lock 45/Port Severn to Midland portion......Navionics wants me to pilot to the north side of Green Island, between Green and Potato Island and then cut over to Midland. IS the route straight out towards Mary Rocks and into the Waubeshene Channel and then back towards Midland any better? I know both have a lot of rocks to watch for and buoys galore. Maybe the decision will come down to wind direction and speed?
  • Options
    I found a way to get the Navionics Web App routes created on my PC exported via the app to Google Earth format, imported into HomePort and uploaded to my Garmin 721.  They seemed fine until I tried to start one and pooof, off goes the GPS.  It re-booted itself.  Seems the number of labeled waypoints was too much for one route and it made the plotter unhappy.

Don't know what plotter you have Will, but might be worth doing "start navigation" with the routes to make sure your plotter likes them.

Have a great trip!

• Options
    Thanks @Stodge
    I've been able to successfully import from Navionics app to my Humminbird plotter. The Humminbird won't allow them as a route, too many points as you found out. But it will accept them as a track. Only difference being a followed route will let you know if you fall off of it, the track only allows you to follow a line on the screen. But as always I depend on my plotter only so far. Eyes on the trail, watch for buoys and markers and always have paper charts as back up.
    I had asked about the route choice above because the recommended channel looked scary, but after doing some more research, no worse than the alternate and much shorter so I guess I'll stick with it.
    This clip will show what I mean. https://youtu.be/LlowiV_NVLI
  • Options
    So tomorrow is the big day. Weather is going to be amazing. Spare belt arrived but not the pullies.  At least I can take the belt with me. Beer is bought, groceries tonight. Looking to get away at daylight. Here is the forecast. I've switched to "foreignheat" for our US friends.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    @willhound - enjoy that well deserved trip!  Weather is certainly looking very nice all around here for this time of year!  Let's see some great pictures!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Have fun and be safe Will. Weathers amazing right now. Couldn't have picked a nicer time to go. 

We're gonna boat all weekend and enjoy it as it gets colder next week. 

Take lots of pics 
  • Options
    Keep us posted as you're able.  Good luck.  Be safe.

• Options
    Thanks guys....will do.
  • Options
    Have a good trip, were pullin for ya no breakdowns.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    You have great weather, esp for this time of year, have a great time!!
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Well.....kind of a "crappy" start, so to speak. Had the boat started and all ready to go. Had to use the head before we left and found it wouldn't flush. Sounded suspiciously like a plugged line. Had a guest on the boat last week that isn't a boater and despite my warnings.....
    Pulled the line, jammed a hose down as far as I could and let her rip. Very foul start to the morning but the head is fixed and it can only get better from here.....right?
    I'm sure I'll laugh over a cocktail later. Trouble is...I want one now.
    Excuse me while I go change......

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    At least you found it now rather than after starting the cocktails!