Options

Transducer Installation

Hey all, I've got a question about where I would install a Lowrance Hook 4 FishFinder/Chart Plotter on my Rinker 206 Captiva. The Lowrance manual states 12" starboard and most sites/advice I've read says that the transducer itself needs to sit just below the water level. Im using the stern saver system so I dont have to drill holes into fiberglass. I am going out to check where the water level sits this weekend just to double check but the spot that this puts me in just doesnt feel right....Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    I've never seen one mounted up high like that.  It would not work when the boat is on plane.  Your existing transducer seems to be mounted in the right place. 

When they say to mount it just below water level, they mean the level of the water when you are on plane.  It has to hang down below the hull like the original one.  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    x2 never seen one that high, how would it work if it was not in the water? The old one is in the proper place.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    OhioAngler83OhioAngler83 Member Posts: 2
    fair enough ill just mount it a few inches over from that one
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Is the existing failed? If so put in same spot. If not then you may need to consider interference between the 2 depending on frequency and power use of each.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your transducer should be exactly lined up with the hull, i.e., take a straight edge and run it back from the hull and the bottom of the transducer should meet it. About 12" from centre line to starboard sounds about right. I think they recommend that so that depending on size of boat, and if operator is alone the boat will list slightly to starboard. If you had it mounted to port it wouldn't get good contact with the water.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    You may want to consider putting it to the left of the outdrive.  Equal distance from the outdrive as your existing one.  The big thing is that when you are moving you want it to essentially skim along the water.  It really isn't going to do you much good when you are on plane as you are just moving too fast for it.  However at speeds 15 mph and under it will be fine.  If you are keeping both transponders just make sure they work on different frequencies.  Otherwise you will have interference.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Ohioangler83,  I'm sure what you read meant just below the level of the hull, like your old one, because when you're up on plane the water comes off the hull bottom.  It's not the waterline when sitting still.  Otherwise it would be up it the air while moving along.  No good.
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Ohioangler83,  And my Lowrance is mounted just like your old one but probably 6" farther right away from the prop.