Options

Water coming in bilge

The first trip out this season ( Memorial Weekend ) and I'm pumping water out of the bilge. We have a 2005 Captiva 282BR and I've never experienced this much water after only 30 mins on the water. We had just had the boat serviced for the upcoming season ( oil change, tune up, new water impeller, drive removed to check bellows ect.. ) I called the shop that did the service and asked them what they did that might cause the boat to be taking on water. They told me to keep an eye on it and see if we were taking on water while under way or sitting. The leak seamed to get slower and eventually went away over the weekend. I looked all weekend long to see where it might be coming from and could not see anything. We took the boat back to the shop and they called me yesterday to tell me that it needed a $10.00 foam gasket between the outdrive and engine. Then they told me it was going to be 10 hrs @ $125.00 per hour to install the gasket because the engine had to be removed. I guess my question is this. Has anyone experienced this and would it just happen without a cause? I argued with the shop that it was something they must have done to aggravate this leak but didn't get anywhere. I know that BOAT really means ( break out another thousand ) but am I being told the truth about how this gasket is being replaced and the time involved? Sorry to sound like I am whining but this is going to cost me 3 tanks of gas! Thanks for taking the time to read this book and any input is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd wager the shop tore the boot slightly while servicing the drive.. and that is your huckleberry.. i'd further wager they are ripping you off by suggesting the engine has to come out.. I could be wrong, but with the ease of tearing a boot and the annual servicing coinciding, it makes it pretty east to believe....
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A leak that solves itself.......Sounds suspiciously like a dry gasket that swells a bit when it gets wet easing the leak. Or a bellows/shift boot set or intake hose that isn't as tight as it should be and temporarily seated itself somewhat better with a little use. Both only a guess. 

How old was the bellows/shift boot set and was it replaced or re-used?

How much water were you taking on and do you have a 2nd bilge pump as a backup?

Boating is a blast but B.O.A.T. is never a happy occurrence. Let us know how it ends up.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

For your sake, I'd hope the shop is wrong. If the leak stopped, maybe wait on it. You tow your boat, right (as opposed to leave it in a slip)? See if the dry out thing pans out.

From my understanding, the sealing out of the water is on the outside of the boat. Which would only mean an outdrive being taken out, as opposed to the engine.

Next time out, bring a flashlight and mirror to look for the leak (or a smartphone). you can try to coat a dry bilge with blue chalk (purchase at your home improvement store) and that might help you find the location of the leak. trickling water will be easier to spot (blue's gone).

good luck!

• Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    I should add that you don't need to coat the whole bilge with the stuff. just near the gimbal houseing, for now.
  • Options
    Good idea BA. We would use baby powder in our old sailboat for any annoying leak and look for a water trail.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Nice and NaughtyNice and Naughty Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Thanks for the input guys! The shop is still claiming that it had nothing to do with the service and that it was just due to old age. I spoke with the owner and he said that even though its not a very common occurrence it does happen. They filled the bilge with water and noticed water leaking out of the transom from behind the horse collar. (Sorry, that's lack of the proper terminology) he claims that mercruiser says the engine needs to be pulled along with the outdrive and its a 10hr job by the book. The gasket is the one that surrounds the bellows and shift cables. I can't live with a leaky boat so I'm going to have to get it fixed. It is what it is, right? We take really good care of our boat and this is just the cost of owning one! ~X(
  • Options
    Rotten timing no doubt. Make sure you do all the other maintenance that'd be coming soon like impellers and gimbel ring tiller pin seal and bellows. 

The fuel tank failed in our '04 270 while it was owned by the previous owner and just before we bought it. He had the mechs go all the way around the engine, drive and genset while it was out. Must've been painful$$ because he sold and went back to sailing.......like that's cost free (take it from an old sailor, it's far from that). It was just timing. 

You'll enjoy a much more reliable boat when it's behind you. Have a great season and we'll look forward to more of those brochure quality pics when it's done. Mike

• Options
    Nice and NaughtyNice and Naughty Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Thanks Mike. I told the shop to please re-inspect everything that is involved in this project. I don't want to have to tear into this again for many more years! Your right, it will be more enjoyable not having to worry about where the water is coming from that's floating around in the bilge. Thanks for the comment about the pictures. My wife goes crazy every time I get into the water with the camera. But I can't help myself with the beautiful background and boat. Dave :-c
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Before you spend big bucks pulling everything out.  Maybe try 5200 fast cure around the transom plate and hull. Clean, tape and caulk it.  Wait 48 hours for a good cure. That should do the job for $25 bucks and last many many years.  

LG