Options

thinking about a rinker

boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
Hello all. New member here with a few questions about Rinker boats. Currently have a Sea Ray Sundancer 250. This was our first boat and we bought it in 2015 and are ready to move up. Four Winns Vista and Rinker Fiesta Vee are at the top of our list currently. I am looking at 29 or 30'ers (around there), probably around 2000 or so. I like the Rinker but am unsure about the rear seat. I like the more common setup where everyone sits at the table facing each other. Seems like the Rinker setup would make conversation or socializing a little awkward? The other thing is my wife likes to lay back there when anchored. Is that seat big enough to lay on? It looks like it, especially with the added sunpad cushion. Anyway, my main concern is as mentioned above with no face to face seating back there. Anyone else have issues with that? Or am I worrying about nothing with it?

Not interested in the Sea Rays of that vintage because of no walk through windshield.

Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a 2015 Sea Ray to sell or as a trade you may want to look at the Rinker EC 310. It has, IMO, the best designed cockpit for its size PERIOD. I owned a 2013 EC 310. The Captain's chair swivels to face the conversation pit, There is a pull-out side bench that you can order a filler cushion for AND the rear seat folds backwards. I guarantee you your Admiral will love it.
  • Options
    A little too new for my checkbook...lol. Mine is a 1986 (I bought it in 2015). Budget is about $40k max so likely early 2000's models. Sorry for the confusion ;)
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    40K you may be able to get a 342
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you are looking for something between 27' and 32'. On the 270 Fiesta Vee, there was an optional filler cushion to get you a full sun pad on that rear seat. That would give you plenty of space to spread out. There are a few of them on here and one of the guys would probably be willing to pattern it for you so you can get it custom made. Rinker might have the pattern on file, but probably not the same fabric color. I agree that the conversation area would be a little separated, but it isn't all that bad. A dock mate of mine has the 270 and I have been on it many times and never had a problem. 

Not sure where you are from, for that budget you should be able to get a mid 2000's 270 Fiesta Vee/Express Cruiser or an early 2000's 310/312/320 Fiesta Vee. Good luck with your search. Keep us posted and in mind if you have anymore questions. We have a great community on here.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 270 and well, when my knuckles heal, I'm sure I will be back to loving it? JK-it's just maintenance time for me here in FL to get ready for the new season. Anyway, I love the layout of my 2005- if you look at the 2003 and below, the upper deck is laid out a little different and not as much room. Now, would say, boaters obviously have different needs. There is a filler cushion you can get for the rear seating to give you admiral a place to lay out- with your camper package it's also suitable for a kid or two to sleep as well. I don't have one, kind of wish I did sometimes but then you have to store it. The boat is not so big that if you have folks sitting back there and then others sitting up at the seat beside the helm that everyone can't talk- you may have a couple people standing on the swim platform ( a must), couple sitting on the bench seat I the back, couple down stairs - I think people tend to want to spread out anyway. The only want I would have on my 270 and it's just not a long enough boat to do, is a dedicated shower. I'm ok with what is referred to is a wet bathroom I believe, but not the wife. I have a generator but not using it as much as I thought as we have yet to truly stay on the hook- wife prefers a restaurant at the marina over cooking on the boat, go figure. I pick my battles. Anything in the Rinker 270 up is a great boat, has great headroom below (big selling feature to me) and have found just a well put together boat. I have never owned a Four Winds so can't comment on that but have the impression they are a decent boat. The 270 is a single engine- if you want to plane out in 3 seconds and run 50 MPH, not the boat for you and you will want a twin motor. I wanted the larges boat I could get with a single motor AND I could trailer it pretty much where ever I wanted so with all things considered with my needs, it was Rinker. Closed cooling was also another must for a used boat that came out of salt water.

Good luck and if you buy a Rinker, you must post pics within 5 days of ownership or we kick you off the forum.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I would think 40 grand would by you a very nice 270 or even the next boat up!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Probably about the only thing I don't like about my Rinker FV270 is that seat design. Would have much preferred that curve be cut off and turned to the rear. Also creates a tight spot when walking through.  But I like everything else about it so much that it didn't dissuade me. Take a look at the 270's. Hull length is actually a little more than that and at 6'2" I can stand up just about anywhere in the open areas below deck in the cabin. An early 2000's model in good condition can be had for about 2/3ds of your budget.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Thanks guys. 270 wouldn't be much of a jump from our 250. 280 is the minimum and not sure that would even be enough. I'm in the Pittsburgh area and boat on the Ohio River. I have been on a Four Winns 288, 298, and 328. The 298 seems to be about the perfect size and haven't seen any negatives other than they are a little harder to find. 32' is the biggest I want to go due to fuel consumption and storage issues. That's why I think the 29 or 30 would be best. I can still trailer it if I want to (with permits) so hoping I find one with a trailer. I think I want twin engines too.

I haven't been on a Rinker yet so that's why I asked about the seating. Wife hates ours and I agree it isn't conducive to socializing. 99% of the time it is just the 2 of us but when we do have others ours is very uncomfortable.

Must haves:
    AC
    windlass
    walk-through windshield
    extended swim platform
    better seating arrangement than ours
    hot water
    shower
    pump out head

Preferred:
    trailer
    generator
  • Options
    Not sure how to edit so just added this. Not concerned about speed. We do cruise on plane but mine never goes over about 28 MPH. We usually go to one of our spots and anchor for the day.
  • Options
    @boatman37. google the different Rinker boat sizes and look on sites such as Yachtworld to compare seating arrangements, amenities, prices etc. There are a number of sizes which can be a bit confusing with multiple models per year sometimes in very close size ranges - but you would probably be interested in 300, 310, 320 (some will be called Fiesta Vee others not) and maybe some of the early model years of the EC 310 line.  You are wise to be looking at Rinker as IMO there is absolutely no way you will get the room, hull strength and options on any other brand of boat. Respectful suggestion..... purchase as much real estate as you can afford as you don't want to be a couple of feet short of perfection.....same goes for engine size. I would always stretch the budget to get a couple of 350 Magnums over a couple of 5.0 liters as who wants to take some friends out and have to ask half of them to "please, go sit on the bow"until we get on plane...... :-(
  • Options
    I have been checking yachtworld and boattrader frequently, which is how I noticed the Rinker seems to have just about everything we want. Good tip on the engines. I have never been in a twin engine boat so kind of assumed with twins there wouldn't be a power issue but I will definitely watch for that too.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my Rinker! But if I were to ever go to a different brand, I might lean towards Chapparal.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Also to add to the must haves is the port side lounger. Wife likes that
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    my older 300 has a nice layout , and they are low cost
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I'll just add, we owned a 2002 310 Rinker for almost 7 years and loved that boat. It's a perfect year as it had the newer MPI engines with smartcraft. The 5.0s were fantastic on that boat. The 4 of us would load it up for 10 days with a dingy and kayak. Never an issue planing (not that you were concerned). The sunpad was pretty decent and you could fold or remove bimini. I never thought about space around cockpit table. We made it work and used galley table quite a bit, leaving sunpad cushion out. For maintenance, that boat had tons of access too to everything except was tight getting to impeller on generator. Good luck and let us know what you find, no matter the brand. Most are very helpful here.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @boatman37, I am in Pittsburgh myself and if you wanted to check out my 280EC sometime, you are more than welcome to. Let me know!
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Boatman I am also in Pittsburgh (about 17 miles south on the mon) If you want to actually check out a 342 in person. If you shop around I bet you could get a 342 for under 40
  • Options
    @boatman37, engine wise if you are looking at a boat with 5.0 liter (302) engines make da*m sure they aren't carb'd 5.0s as those are super gas hogs. The 5.0 EFIs are much better. That said, for almost the same price, you can get 5.7 (350) EFIs that are, IMO, waaaay better than 5.0s in every respect.  As we have often said on this forum ...have you ever heard anyone complain that they have too much HP? :-)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Greg and Friday, you guys are what this forum is all about!! Fantastic offering boatman a peek at your rides! The 342 is really a grew boat because it the smallest boat of all brands that offers a full separate shower. The 280 is one of the best with a single engine.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    There is also a 270EC at my dock so you can compare the two.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the offers! The 270 is out of the question for sure. Not much difference in size than mine. 342 is going to be too big. I was on a FW 328 and that is pushing the size limits...lol. I store my boat in underground mines and was told that 11' beam is the widest I can put in there so have to call this week to confirm that. If so then I want to stay under that size. We have a 270 and a 280 at our marina. I worry that if I get a 280 I would be looking to go bigger in a year or two. Hoping this next one will be around at least 5 years or longer. I 'think' I would still be happy with a 29 or 30 in 5 years...lol