Options

Wimpy Horn

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
So i am coming in to dock yesterday and there is a guy just sitting in front of my space waiting on the ramp.  I hit the horn to get his attention and it sounded a little like a 4 yr old on a kazzoo.  I yelled out and asked if he could back up so i could get into my spot and he asked if "that was me beeping at him"  Made me realize the horn is really pretty bad.  Anyone replace theirs?  if so what did you get?  Where is the **** thing anyway?  
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    The stock horn is probably in the anchor locker, and yes - they are pretty feeble!  On my 342, I installed an air horn on the radar arch.  I replaced the helm switch with a 2-way rocker switch so I could keep both horns.  

This one is pretty good if you have room for it.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|135|2290125|2290127&id=147388 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went air horn here too. Kahlenberg. 

http://www.kahlenberg.com/products/marine-signaling/yacht-horns/model-d-0a-white

Put it in place of the tv antenna.  Looks good. LOUD.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I always thought mine was not real loud - the oval shaped chirper on the port side - when activated from the helm but was on the dock one day and the wife hit it to raise the attention of some clowns bombing through the no wake zone and near made my ears bleed. I like the idea of the 2 way switch as @LaRea did, one for normal and the other for "can you hear me now". Have to consider that.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'hear me now' is always the better option.  People with loud engines, loud stereos....I can out blast any of them.  hehe

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a trumpet horn along with a hand held air horn. If one doesn't get someones attention, the other usually does.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have a weak horn issue.....someone at the marina tossed a dual horn so I grabbed it to see if it works or not....on my list...sigh....
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....very sad to hear that some of you guys have horny issues. Forget Kahlenberg ......Phizer has a cure for that!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    uh, to many letters in the word for the problem we have.....LOL
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras there is a short form for that....:-)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

You old salty farts are funny!

I used to hate that small horn on my 310!  The admiral says I moved up to the 400 just for the horn (as I love to hear it - we go under a bridge out of our marina).  It has two of the trumpet horns on the bow.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    nick92675nick92675 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    i had a similar situation earlier in the summer, and was like 'wtf was that?'  i was able to make mine slightly less wimpy by taking it apart, cleaning all the spider webs and crap out of it, and adjusting the screw that is there.   didn't make it 'ballsy' by any means, but definitely better.  now it's just 'not completely embarrassing'.  easy stopgap.  
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine doesnt work and it's probably better that way.. I get in less fights.
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|135|2290125|2290127&id=2199945

Bought this few weeks ago for all the same reasons listed above. Installed it and so far very happy. Its much deeper then my old one and definately loud enough to hear . Suitable for 30-35 foot boat no problem. They have a dual too but didn't feel the need.  I checked all the specs and researched alot before I bought it and it matched the Kahlenberg horns almost identically for decibels etc. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    edited September 2017
    A working horn is an essential safety device.  Every boat needs a horn that is loud enough to be heard in bad weather.  

@jmichels - I think the difference from the Kahlenberg will be the reliability of the air pump.  I've owned several copies of the horn you bought, and I could never make the pump last longer than 2-3 years.  The Ongaro horns seem to last longer, while still being relatively cheap.  YMMV, but Kahlenberg is definitely the cream of the crop.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, I have a hand held air horn ready to go under the captains chair.. 
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    LaRea said:
    A working horn is an essential safety device.  Every boat needs a horn that is loud enough to be heard in bad weather.  

@jmichels - I think the difference from the Kahlenberg will be the reliability of the air pump.  I've owned several copies of the horn you bought, and I could never make the pump last longer than 2-3 years.  The Ongaro horns seem to last longer, while still being relatively cheap.  YMMV, but Kahlenberg is definitely the cream of the crop.
    LaRea,

Possibly true. My factory pump which looked identical lasted 13 years and was still going. Kahlenberg sells the pumps seperately too. 

I bought a FIAM Tornado Single Horn from defender not the Ongaro but seems similar. BTW Defender also sells Kahlenberg.

Agreed Kahlenberg is cream of the crop.