Options

Will These Boat Fenders Be Sufficient?

I just received four 6.5" G4 fenders and want to make sure they are an acceptable size for our Captiva 246. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bare minimum at best. I was most comfortable with 10" on my 23 center console. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use G-5 fenders on my 280EC, which are the same size fenders I had on my 232cc. Where I boat, we get a lot of wake. I figured that I wanted the biggest fenders that I can store on my boat. I was able to store 5 G-5's on my old 232.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    AirclnrAirclnr Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input. I'll send them back and get the G-5 bumpers. Take care.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I got these off Ebay a while back $71.99 for 4 of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Ribbed-Marine-8-5-X-27-Boat-Fender-Vinyl-Bumper-Dock-Shield-Protection-White-/380818083727

Perfect for my 270 and much cheaper than the big brands.  Their good quality too.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I had 6.5" fenders on my 232 but bought 8.5" Super guard fenders several years ago. Work much better while tying boats together and at docks in rougher water. I even still use the 6.5" for precaution. Piece of mind!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is big ever to big? If you have a place to store them, then they are not to big.
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    If you do raft off to other boats - Taylor Made 'Big B' fenders work really well when hung horizontally. 8"x20"s. Hang one in the middle of each boat side.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I used 8.5X20 Big B Fenders (10 - 5 for each side) with a 2014 EC 360. Worked great......just remember - buy a Taylormade fender pump and needles and keep them inflated to at least 80% stiffness - no smart a$$ comments. BTW buying a top quality fabric fender cover (mine were West Marine top grade) will really save your gel coat!
  • Options
    MT, I have thought about fender covers. How do you test inflation of fenders, but not asking a smart a$$ question Ha Ha? I want to get fender covers so no rashes from bumpers as I tie up a lot. I had them made for my boat cover tie down straps for trailering to prevent the same thing. Had them made out of felt and work great.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This past winter I bought a couple of cheap fleece blankets and made my own fleece bumper covers on a sewing machine. Worked great. 6 large covers for around $7.00
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    @Robs_32 I don't like to see an 8" fender depress more than 1" when the boat shifts against the dock.  To start the season I inflate the fenders until I can just barely depress them by squeezing them hard in the middle. I used to worry that if I over inflated them they could burst under pressure but that never happened. I use quality fenders  - Big B by Taylormade - and put down 4 for the EC 310 and  5 for the EC 360. *****If I find they still seem to be depressing too much under load I just take out the pump and add some more air dockside. 

BTW #1 I let air out of the fenders for winter storage to take some of the stress off the valves.

BTW #2 I bought a set of "snubbers" that I placed on ALL of my dock lines. These were probably the best ever purchase I made to prevent gel coat cracking, cleat damage and gel coat damage. As well, they stopped the snap type jerking that can happen from wakes and waves and results in less spilled whisky. I purchased the snubbers (different sizes for different lines) at West Marine.

@bry1429.....could probably tell you that mooring line combinations and numbers, fenders, fender covers, snubbers  and anchors (SS Delta plus an SS Manson Supreme) .....accessory wise he bought the best equipped boat for mooring in the marina LOL

I was ocd about protecting the hull, fittings and finishes.
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    For anybody that does a lot of overnighters rafted up to other boats, consider getting ball fenders -- the bigger, the better.  I use 24", and deflate them for storage when not in use.  I have a Ryobi air pump that runs from an 18-V cordless drill battery, and it works great for inflating fenders and floaty toys.  

And yes, people often quote AC/DC lyrics about me having the biggest ...
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @LaRea about using ball fenders. I have two for when I leave my boat tied to a wharf overnight. Them along with my regular fenders keep my boat safe from wall rash.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have storage for two fenders on the transom- would love the metal ones on the bow rail for another 4...
  • Options
    Great info MT as always! Have thought about trying snubbers but never hear people talking about them. Much thanks
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    @Michael T  has prepped his fleet of Rinkers for optimal bumper protection ! LOVE THE DELUXE FABRIC BUMPER COVERS, I remove those, wash with fabric softener then store for winter.
    I also take all my dock lines and fender lines home in the winter. I put them in a big plastic storage tote - fill it with warm water, mix in a gallon of fabric softener. Leave them to soak submerged for 3 weeks with occasionally stirring the mixture. Then, dump it and just 'lightly" rinse them, lay out to completely dry. Then store them for the winter. Come spring they are soft, pliable and the smell of fabric softener (pick a smell you like) keeps the boat smelling nice. Besides keeping the lines from getting stiff and prematurely dry rotting it also helps keep the spiders away, they hate the smell of fabric softener.
     I had started doing this with my 1993 Bayliner 3055 in 1995, the lines I had were ALL still in soft great condition for the new owner last spring. 
    I do this process in a spare bathroom walk-in shower. AGAIN, You must pick a smell your ADMIRAL likes because the entire house will smell like softener for a couple months  :#
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    My 280 EC came with 4 G-6 fenders - Big Boys. Might be overkill, but if I'm coming into the dock with a strong tide and a single engine I'm going to hit hard - we strap two on the side and my wife holds a third to swing it wherever contact might be made.