Options

2004 FV 250 swim platform dragging?

amajamaramajamar Member Posts: 57 ✭✭

I had my boat out last weekend, (admittedly maybe a little overloaded for the 5.0 MPI B3 combo with four adults and two kids), and I had a difficult time getting up on plane and staying there.  After a little research it seems that one of the possible issues is the swim platform's trailing edge may be catching the water and slowing the boat down enough to prevent planing.

From my research, I learned that there were several threads on the old site which may have addressed issues such as that, however, this new site doesn't have any information regarding this.

Is there anyone out there who had success in making mods to the platform to mitigate this issue and improve performance?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MaverickMaverick Member Posts: 11
    That problem on the old site referred to the early 270. I haven't heard of this on the 250 and have had mine for 10 years now without this problem. (5.0 mpi Alpha one) Make sure you haven't got too much weight at the stern and you should be fine. Four adults and 2 kids should be fine if you're balance correctly.
  • Options
    Yes I know that referred to the 270, but it may be applicable to the 250 as well.  At least for me it seems.  Certainly with full water and fuel and four adults the platform sits pretty low in the water.  I'm planning on checking it out again this weekend and see if I'm still having problems.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume your trim tabs all the way down and drive trimmed down? With a heavy load it will take long to plane especially if everyone is sitting in the back. Move someone to the front and try. Also if there is a good chop on the water it will make it difficult as it will slow you down and keep the bow up.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    With just my wife and I it was much better.  Went out this weekend and it was pretty flat out and planing was no problem.  Later in the day it was getting a little choppy (2'+) and if I slowed at all, the platform seemed to catch and pull us back off plane pretty fast.  I wasn't running the tabs all the way down, either, more like midpoint on the controller. 

I would still think to try doing a platform retrofit on the off season to minimize this condition.