Options

Anchor rode on a 342

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone gone all chain on their 342 for the anchor rode?  I probably need to replace the liane portion this year and think all chain would help with some forward ballast too.  Looking at probably 150-200 feet total.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Al!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    I too like the idea of more chain in my rode along with the added now weight to help plane on heavy stern conditions
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Just one thought.   All chain will give no shock absorber.  The more chain, the better, but I would always incrporate some line at the top for less jaring.  B.D.;   I say that because I know when anchoring along West Michigans coast, conditions can change on you quite fast. 
  • Options
    edited July 2013

If I go with more or all chain, I was going to use a snubber set up like:

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/Small-Anchor-Chain-Snubber-with-Nylon-Rope.html

Pretty common for me to anchor in 2-3 foot waves on any given day on the Big Lake!  Been caught in far worse.  I'd like the extra weight in the bow and I would like around 250' of rode total, give me good scope on rough days and still be in ~35' deep water if necessary.

Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭

Yes.  Nice setup. 

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    BD you're absolutely right on target about needing a springy snubber to disperse that chain shock load. The longer the better. 7 to 1 is plenty of scope even on a challenging day. If you're still dragging with all that chain then it's definitely time for a better hook.

Haulin' all that chain is a lot of work for any windlass. Make sure it's well serviced and in fine form so you don't end up hauling all that new chain by hand... Ain't nobody got time for that. (LINK)  :)

Happy shopping. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    sweet link, I've seen that before and it is a hoot!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Mine is zip tied to the bow tie down inside

PC BYC, Holland, MI