Options

The New Thing

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
While we were on our trip up in the North Channel I noticed a trawler style boat with an outboard motor. It seemed unique and after talking to the owner it turns out that the boat had been modified from an inboard diesel to the outboard.

So guess what I saw at the Metro Beach boat show? A Ranger Tug with an outboard? They had a 23 foot there and I found out a 27 foot is coming out next year. I asked how fast it was. According to the salesman the 23 foot would do 40 and the 27 foot "trawler" would do mid 30s.

So much for sail boat speed travel boats. 

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Sounds very interesting.  Seems like the outboard is giving them a bit more speed.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, while we were up in Lake St. Clair we saw a 40 ft power cat with twin outboard Suzuki's at Gross Point, they were making the Great Loop. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I saw a 38 Donzi center console with a tiny cuddy and outboards making the loop.  They said it was quick when you cruised at 38 MPH.  

• Options
    Ha! I bet it is quick at that speed! He must have a nice fuel budget.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am seeing multiple outboard rigs on former inboards wherever I go. Was talking to the owner of a gofast here in Aruba on Saturday. He had replaced a couple of supercharged motors with five 350 outboards. He said far quicker acceleration, better fuel economy, higher top end, easier and cheaper maintenance, better longevity, more room for fuel and waaay more room for gear (former engine bay) more stable as the engines off the stern change "in effect" the length of the hull and he can raise the engines out of the salt water. Outrage has a new offshore with, I believe 4 x 350s on it. 

However if you want to see the future of REAL high performance outboard engines google SEVEN MARINE......now that;s power!!!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at a boat test on a 33' regal- same thing so it had tons more room inside...I think that was the boat..makes you think a bit...I like the clean look of no motors...until you have to do something with one.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A local marina is the Eastern Canada dealer for Ranger tugs so we see them often. Very intriguing. Talk about a rough water hull. And yes, several new models using outboards.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Evinrude has new outboards that are super high tech and can be trimmed-up 81%  which means they are completely put of the water!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Outboards are a great solution for people who don't need a swim platform.

The Army has a mobile control center boat near us with seven outboards across the back.  It's a real head-turner, but I think it's for shallow draft rather than speed.  
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    LaRea said:
    Outboards are a great solution for people who don't need a swim platform. 

@LaRea - not exactly true.  There are many out there that are integrated under a cover in front of the swim platform.

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    unbelievable, what kinda boat is that LaRea? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    unbelievable, what kinda boat is that LaRea? 
    This is a Sea Ray back in 2013.  There are several more cruiser style boats now that have them like this.  I think it is a great concept. 

• Options
    .....also some of the boats have 3 or more feet of swim platform to which the outboard engines are attached. The swim ladders board from the sides.
  • Options
    Yeah, Pursuit was the groundbreaker in that segment, but the platforms are small compared to what you'd find on a same-size Rinker.  
  • Options
    ......@LaRea, that depends, there are platforms that are certainly the same size as the 342 and the EC 360. Maybe not the same size as the old Rinker EC400 and 410 but still a swim platform as big or bigger that a 342 or EC 360 with outboards attached to that is pretty awesome in my book.
  • Options
    There is one of those Sea Ray's with the hidden outboard Verado's on our dock. It is pretty neat! Believe it is a Sea Ray Venture 370. 

• Options
    There was a SeaRay Sundancer with outboards out-and-proud on the back at the boat show last week.

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    There is one of those Sea Ray's with the hidden outboard Verado's on our dock. It is pretty neat! Believe it is a Sea Ray Venture 370. 

Yes, Venture 370. Very nice boats. Sat on one at the local dealer. Huge cockpit area.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to get out more often, didn't know they existed. oh well, 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    The Venture 370 is beautiful, but the large cockpit comes at the expense of a smaller foredeck and tiny forward cabin.  It's like some Doral cruisers -- different, not necessarily better.  If you like that sort of thing, it's the sort of thing you'd like.

I don't think any builder has fulfilled the early marketing hype for outboard cruisers.  They bragged about huge interior spaces because the engines are outside.  But if you look at the volume consumed by the outboard compartments and the "mechanical space," it's at least as big as a conventional engine room -- maybe bigger.  There's no net gain.  

The swim platform on the Venture 370 is comparable to a Rinker 370EX, so I stand corrected on that count.  And I believe the test data saying that they are quieter, which might actually be the biggest benefit for outboards.  
  • Options
    I got the latest issue of BoatUS magazine and what should be on on the cover?  A  cruiser style boat with 4 outboards. 

• Options
    Stodge said:
    I got the latest issue of BoatUS magazine and what should be on on the cover?  A  cruiser style boat with 4 outboards. 

yep, I just got it over the weekend as well!