Options

Dinghy shopping, need opinion

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
Been shopping for a new dinghy for next season.  I'd like to get a RIB and put it on Hurley davits on the swim platform so I don't have to shlep the outboard motor on and off the little boat.  I found an aluminum RIB that's just under 10 feet long that weights about 72 pounds.  That paired up with a 2 stroke 8 HP motor would end up being about 130 pounds.  
I don't know anybody who has a Highfield brand dinghy.  If anybody here has one and can comment on them I'd appreciate it.

This is the one I'm looking at:  http://www.highfieldboats.com/ultralite-290/

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    That one looks really nice.  I'd love to have a hard bottom one and that one seems to be lighter weight than most others.  Do you have the motor already?  I'm thinking about selling my 2 stroke 8hp Evinrude.  It is 58 lbs.  Too bad you weren't closer, I'd make you a deal.  Good luck and let us know what you think after you try it out!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks DI, I actually have an older Merc 8HP 2 stroke.  My plan is to try it out first and adjust if needed.  That ding is rated for a max of 8HP so it seems to be a good fit.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe the light weight of that dinghy, very cool! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spend the extra on the sun,chemical resistant material. I think it's called hyphalon?
  • Options
    Yep, had a Brig with hyphalon.  It was a well made ding.  Just too heavy to put on the platform.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
     Michael T said:
    Spend the extra on the sun,chemical resistant material. I think it's called hyphalon?

I've always wondered if the hypalon is worth the extra cost?  I purchased a PVC back in 2007 for under $400 new.  It lasted me until the end of 2015, so 9 summers.  I then bought another PVC from a dock neighbor, cause he got a hypalon dinghy with his recently purchase boat (& didn't need two).  It was a couple years old, paid $300 for it (with half of weaver davits - part glued on dinghy).  It's holding up real well.  & I find he is inflating his a lot more often.  Read this article: http://inflatableboatworks.com/?p=1796 , it sounds like others have seem the same results.  As far as sun resistance, I use 303 Aerospace on all my vinyl stuff and never had a problem with UV.

I do like the sounds of this lightweight one Stodge has on here and really curious how it holds up.  I'd love the have the hard bottom, so I could scoot along faster.  I have both a 3.3hp and a 8hp.  But, with the softbottom, the 8hp really doesn't buy me a whole lot (not as much as I wanted). 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking about an inflatable catamaran - something I can take the kiddies out to play, throw the shrimp net, put out the crab traps, etc. boatstogo has them (out of stock), but I might try a cheap Chinese boat from Alibaba - if I spend $500 and it lasts 2 seasons that's my money's worth or more.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I have an Achilles 11' or so hypalon RIB with a 15hp 2 stroke and it's awesome. Its a bit heavy but i pull it up on my platform without much issue. I can actually pull my kids on the tube at high speed.  Lots more room inside, more stable, and i highly recvomend the flat floor option if you have kids. I also no longer have to worry about pulling it ashore and it getting punctured. I had an inflatable bottom pvc with a small motor and it was ok for puttering. By the time I sold it the pvc was starting to sweat and get sticky. I then bought a hard bottom used pvc dinghy. Again the material sweat and handles and other glued items were pulling off. This thing was obviously not cared for properly. So I spent the money on the hypalon and don't regret it one bit. If you anchor a lot I think both hard bottom and hypalon are the way to go. Although I have read that their are high quality pvc materials that are much more stable than the cheapo dinghys of yore. And it all comes down to care. If you have pvc and 303 it all the time then the material will last much longer. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Covering and using 303 on the PVC dingy will help. Eventually the UV gets to the material and glue though.  Generally they tell you 10 years for PVC material, care or lack there of can swing that of course. 

I opted for the hypalon/rigid bottom. We use the dinghy a lot too tho, so made the price point easier to swallow.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I'm feeling better about the aluminum hull after talking to a couple folks around here.  Also talked to folks about getting some supports added to the swim platform.  Never felt right not having anything supporting the outside edge.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weight on the platform is a good consideration.  My old Mercury 270 Airdeck was 106# less the engine.  My AB 9.5 AL dinghy, substantially all around bigger and 9.5' long weighs 95#.  Running a Merc 9.9Hp 2-stroke at 65# and it stays on the dinghy now.

I'll be adding some better backing to the swim platform bolts this winter, all they used were ~1" dia washers for 'backing' and I'm seeing some distress in the areas now. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Good idea BD.  Might have to add that to the list when the supports get added.