Options

Snaps for Cover, Best way to fix???

hutch1311hutch1311 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
I have a few snaps that stripped out of the fiberglass on my 232 CC.  I can access the back side of them through the storage area underneath the sink so my plan was to just use small bolts with nuts on the backside and loctite to secure them to the fiberglass.  If the snap is stripped out of the fiberglass and you can't get to the backside of the snap how would you fix them?

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I would fill the hole with something like 5200, retap & screw back in.What I've heard from canvas shops, it actually is best if those screws are just loose enough to allow the snap to rotate.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Yup 5200.  Maybe fill the hole with 5200 and set the snap screw back into cure.  Use 5200 fast cure.  Drys in 24 hours.  I'd let it set for 48 hours. 

LG
  • Options
    hutch1311hutch1311 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    I ended up using a 2 part fiberglass epoxy from Ace hardware.  The guy there said he used it on his boat for the same thing and it has held up for the past 3 seasons.  I cleaned out the hole then filled it with the epoxy, coated the snap and screw with epoxy and set it in place. I trailered the boat to the river a few days later with the cover on and everything seems good.