Considering 2008 330 EC

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
Considering moving up from my 2007 Bayliner 285.  Wife and I are very impressed with the layout of the 2008 330 EC.  Saw the boat today (https://syracuse.craigslist.org/bod/6286840555.html) in person.  Am a little turned off by some corrosion on the outdrive and many scratches, dings, gouges in the black hull.  We've always kept our boats as pristine as possible.  Otherwise, most of what we see (other than above) appears to be able to be taken care of by some serious cleaning.  Boat has Merc 350 with bravo III (Same as mine) so with that I'm familiar.  

Asking price is $112,000, pretty high I think considering average retail is around $89,000.

Any thoughts on specific areas in this boat to look at?  Is this a good power package for weight of boat?  Any specific weak areas this model (or brand) is known for?  Would appreciate any help and advise.

Thanks
Paul 

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Spyderweb , yes, imo the price is certainly not low. I would get a price on a survey from a registered surveyor. In my case when I sold a boat I paid for the survey. or you can ask the owner to go 50-50. If the boat fails on too many fronts the seller pays 100%. lots of ways to approach this. I would also want to see pretty comprehensive maintenance logs and speak with the tech/marina rep that did the work. This boat is fairly expensive for the year, make and model so I would expect it to be in VERY good shape. Not particularly comforted that the owner has not detailed the boat. Nicks and scratches in the gel coat should have, imo, already been fixed by the owner. Sounds like you have already done some homework by pricing the boat at sites like www.yachtworld.com   Rinker 330. Good luck
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what MT said. The cabin looks to be in great shape. The cockpit needs cleaned up big time for what they are asking for the boat. I would be comfortable running that boat with twin 350 MAG's. The drives have some corrosion. Where I boat, that is more the norm since it is on a river. I would want to see maintenance logs since they seem to be asking a premium for the boat and it doesn't have a trailer. Coming from a 28' boat, that would be a nice upgrade for you.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For 9-year-old outdrives, I'd say they are in pretty good shape.  They have reached the stage at which corrosion should be sanded and painted annually.  It's a fact of life for aluminum outdrives.  I'd be more concerned about the fact that the owner didn't bother to clean the boat before listing it.  Definitely hire a professional surveyor.  

The price is too high, especially this time of year.  You could get a 360 for that money.
  • redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    i have a 330 for sale.  I would take 85K for mine.  Fresh water boat.  Lots of upgrades and service records.  We have been happy with our 330.  ready for our next boat adventure.  we found a 2012 40' sea ray we like.  let me know if you have any interest and i will send you pics and specifics.  I had a survey done when i purchased 3 years ago you are welcome to look at.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not get a Rinker 410?
    Steve, you know I am a Rinker guy 100% and I slag Sea Rays all the time.

The Admiral and I were in the last Rinker EC 400 produced. It was delivered to Hurst Marine on the Rideau River just down from where I used to live. It was fully optioned and was magnificent. 

I have a friend with an older Sea Ray 410.  Of course given its size and weight it has diesels. It has a walk around front berth that Admirals really like as do owners who have to get up in the night to use the head. With the Rinker 400 you have to crawl over someone with the Sea Ray 400 you do not.

But.....here's the real difference, imo, the Sea Ray has two heads which is a huge bonus. 

There is less head room in the Sea Ray but there is more room in the cabin and in the cockpit area.

That said, if Rinker tweaked the hull by adding a few more feet to create a front island berth and two heads it would give Rinker owners a "next step".  Of course, this would certainly require diesel power plants.

Maybe Rinker found there was no market for this size in their line-up. enough

• SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Redlighting,
    I'm keeping my search fairly local. You seem to have a decent price on yours.  

I should add the Broker (marina owner) said boats they sell he guarantees 100% everything works for one year.  Plus he would replace rear canvas (totally shot) and fix the worst gouges in the black hull.  I didn't realize warrantees were offered on brokered boats.  That did get my attention, and is only reason we didn't just walk.  My concern is boat will be berthed 75 miles away.  How easy will it be to get his tech to come up and service my warranty work.  And if its something big, I have to get boat back to him, my expense.  Will definitely be getting full blown survey if making offer.

Paul
    Tech services work like this where I boat - the tech starts his time clock when he picks-up the work order and starts picking parts and loading tools. We pay full shop price, even while he is driving (both ways). If a marina is really busy it may not want to lose a tech even if he is being paid to drive as they are under pressure to fix owners boats with a good turn around time. That said, if you keep your maintenance up and do a few simple jobs yourself you should not be worried about a tech having to visit unless it's an absolute emergency that you are unable to handle. There may be mobile techs in your area too that thrive on what you may need. BTW.... good call on the survey and get any warranty in writing by the marina's service manager on company letterhead otherwise it may not be worth the paper it's written on. Good Luck.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Michael T said:

That said, if Rinker tweaked the hull by adding a few more feet to create a front island berth and two heads it would give Rinker owners a "next step".  Of course, this would certainly require diesel power plants.

Maybe Rinker found there was no market for this size in their line-up. enough

It's funny how different sometimes people view the same boat.  We love the 400 because it doesn't make an island out of the front berth. It was one of the things we didn't like on the newer boats (hey, just an opinion).  The island berths are just made too small (hence why you probably increased the size of yours).  We also like the fact that there wasn't another head (because it is more maintenance, more to clean, more to winterize and more space taken up by something that you truly aren't using often).

As far as comparing with the Sea Ray, then you should compare with the Rinker 410, not the 400.  I don't know the Sea Ray well enough to compare.  But, I'll say that the Sea Rays that I have been in around that size, well, the aft cabin did not have the width compared to Rinker's 360-420. 

@Spyderweb - Definitely understand the reason you are buying local, but I agree with MT to make sure he really does back everything up and speak to locals that have used them.  And if boat is 75 miles away, well, not sure the warranty is very significant.  I couldn't image going that distance just for something warrantied on a used boat.

@redlightning - a great deal on your beautiful boat!  Good luck!  As I'm sure it will sell super fast!  & let's see pics of your new ride when you get it!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I notice there is no carpet- what is the shape of that? Also, when I bought my boat it came with a full enclosure- only problem was and I did not look, you could not see through it! I had to replace the whole thing. Also, sounds like for the money you could move up a bit and get the stand up shower- what a deal breaker that would be for me if looking for a bigger boat....when I hit the lottery....
    Photos don't show carpet but it was rolled up in the aft.  Didn't get a look at it.  Was just kinda overwhelmed with so much to look at on this big boat.  It is on my list to check out on our 2nd visit.  

Noticed on 2008 Rinker brochure, there was an option for filler cushion in cockpit.  Any idea if something like that can be ordered on an older boat and ballpark price?  
    edited September 2017
    The  smallest front island berth on a Sea Ray 410 is a full queen size from head to foot (not with a small bow area defined the the front vee of the boat) - exactly as in any home (some are ordered factory with a larger mattress) and are almost king sized while still island berths- the Rinker 400 is not.  @Dream_Inn ....a couple of years back one of the boating magazines ran desired options for boats 40 and over. Number one was two separate heads, number two was two island berths in separate locations.  That may be why 99% of the boats in that size class are configured that way. You are the only guy I have ever heard say he didn't want two heads in a 40 foot boat or island berths. God I never thought I'd say anything good about a Sea Ray!.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Well, the good thing MT, is neither of us is right or wrong. :)  I know someone right now that has a 4460 Regal and wish they didn't have the second head in it.  He said it takes up too much valuable space.  His beds in his aft cabin aren't even actual twin size.  I'm pretty sure Sea Ray is the same way.  (at least their larger 38' is)

@Spyderweb, Ras gives some good points.  Carpet and the full enclosure together can cost another $5k.  As far as the cushion, you can get a local upholstery/canvas shop to make one, or make one yourself. I also agree that the biggest let down with the 330 is not having a full separate shower.  Both the 342 and 350 have a very nice one.  If you love the 330 layout, look at the 350. Same layout with a full shower.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Broker (marina owner) said he'd replace the bad canvas. Actually already replaced the front canvas due to hail damage this summer.  And as mentioned, carpets are on my list to check next visit.  

We also have always liked the idea of separate shower.  But the 330 is already at the outer limits of what my dock can handle for length.  350 is 2' 3" longer.

In researching the Rinker line, It seems the 330 designation only occurs in 2008.  Wasn't there in 2007, and in 2009 there's a 320 and 340.  Is the 340 just a rebadged 330, or is it a different boat?
  • bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Spyderweb said:1927.28into
    Broker (marina owner) said he'd replace the bad canvas. Actually already replaced the front canvas due to hail damage this summer.  And as mentioned, carpets are on my list to check next visit.  

We also have always liked the idea of separate shower.  But the 330 is already at the outer limits of what my dock can handle for length.  350 is 2' 3" longer.

In researching the Rinker line, It seems the 330 designation only occurs in 2008.  Wasn't there in 2007, and in 2009 there's a 320 and 340.  Is the 340 just a rebadged 330, or is it a different boat?

bry1429 said;
    Rinker has been known to "rebadge"  it's line of boats. Making subtle changes but nonetheless it's the same boat different name.
    Not sure about the 320/330- 330/340.

edited September 2017
    BTW I posted a couple of years ago that the Rinker EC 340 and EC 360 have EXACTLY the same cockpit in every respect - even the exact same hard top. The difference is in hull width and length. Before purchasing the EC 360 new from the factory we looked at an EC 340 the dealer had for sale at a biggggg discount as it was almost two model years old. The salesman told us he'd get shot for saying don't buy this boat - for not much more money you can get the 360 and there is NO comparison between then two. You's even be better to get a quality used 360 than this new 340. We did look at a 2011 EC 360 with twin 496s (8.1Mags) before deciding to purchase a new 2014 EC 360 with twin 502s (8.2 mags). That was great advice. There really is NO comparison between the 340 and the 360 with its much larger interior space, huge island walk around front berth and the separate shower
    @bry1429 is (as usual) 100% on the money.....for example, the Rinker EC 350 and EC 360 are exactly the same except for color and material changes and as far as I can tell the new EC 370 is exactly the same as the EC 360 except for cosmetic changes too.

Sometimes there are radical changes with the same number which can really fool all of us! LOL - I believe there are two  Rinker 310 model numbers....a FV 310 and an EC 310.

Some have said they prefer the FV 310 whereas I prefer the EC 310 (and bought a new one in 2013) the EC 310 was one of Rinker's most award winning boats and has, imo, one of the best cockpit lay-outs ever regarding versatility. Many other manufacturers (like Regal) are just catching-up with that award winning Rinker design now!
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We looked at the new 320 at the boat show last week.  My wife had the same complaint as when it wore a 310 badge (her judgment based on layout).  She didn't like the narrow path from the transom to the cockpit.  

We've discussed down-sizing in a few years.  But it's going to be really hard to give up the shower in the 342.   

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree on the 342 shower. We use it all weekend, every weekend. It is 75% of the reason that we bought a 342 after having a 310. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Our down-size might be a trawler.  Wonder how much effort it would be to add a separate shower to a trawler.  I have a feeling it would have to be "outside".  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha! They say that the ideal loop boat is a full displacement 32' single diesel trawler
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Just looked on the Rinker website and the 2017 350 appears identical to the 2008 330 in layout and hull specs.
    .....my  2014 ( former model 350) was called an EC 360 so I believe in 2017  that hull would have been called an EX 370?