Options

US $ keeping Canadian value up?

BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
I'm always nosing around looking at looking to see what my similar boat is selling for. They seem to have gone up a bit from what I was seeing them listed for when I bought mine 2 yrs ago. The strong US $ causing that? Nice to see i'm not loosing.....lol
2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    prgrod01prgrod01 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭

Bought my boat 3 seasons ago and also keep an interest on boat prices and they have definitely increase on the west coast, easily 10% some up to 20% over 3 years. It seems boats are similar to real estate, every spring people try and increase the asking price to see if it sticks and in the case of boats it has been, but the high US $ is the main contributor in my opinion. New boats pricing follow the fluctuation in the US $ and the used boat market quickly follows.

When I bought my ski boat in 2008 I was looking in the 3-5 year old used boat market when the Canadian $ shot up to Par with the US $ and I was able to buy a new boat for about $4k more than my original budget. Previous to that I seen a $10k difference from new to 5 year used, so no brainer to go new.

I tend to limit my research to the west coast, CAN/US and in the west coast there is as much fishing as cruising, trying to find a good deal on a used fishing boat in the spring is similar to winning the lottery, different story in the fall/winter months. So much so my brother in law found it cheaper to fly to Nova Scotia to purchase a used Striper this spring. At first I thought he just had tunnel vision and fell in love with the first boat he laid eyes on... but after talking to him and doing my own research he convinced me he saved $10k and got a heck of a deal, even after the expense of going coast to coast.

2001 Rinker 242
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No doubt the strong USD has increased boat prices across the board. You can't get anything new for much less than CAD $50k, even small bass boats. That number was $25 to $30k in 2010/2011, when the Canadian dollar was at par with the USD. That was part of the reason why I bought my Rinker in early 2012.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"