Replacement bilge pump

randys58randys58 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
Need to replace the bilge pump in my 1998 232 Captiva CC. Anyone know of an easy to install substitute? At the least let me know what the diameter of the hose used on this model boat so I don't buy something that won't fit. Just purchased the boat so this is all new to me. Thanks, Randy

Comments

• mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Do you have any info on the existing pump? 

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are best to take the old one out, it should just unclip from its base.  Then get the hose size.

I just had the most exhausting CG boat safety insepection ever last weekend and the guy said I should have a light or 'sound' to alert me if the bilge pump is running.  Interesting idea, but how do you manage that with an auto pump set up?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Randy, on mine, the pump was a cartrige type that with a quarter turn or so lefty loosey it comes out. I want to say it was a Johnson. Whatever it was I got the same brand and it fit back in the same place, same hose size. I did have to do a little modification with the auto-on switch but that was cake. I may have had to unscrew the mounting bracket from the bilge but that's easy too. This is a good chance to upgrade in capacity. I about doubled what Rinker put on mine.

Black_Diamond, my bilge switch light turns on when the auto-on activates. It's a dim light that I can only see when I'm doing something like going under a bridge, but it's there. So technically you can tell the CG to go _____.

• sunrnr33sunrnr33 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I have a '00 272 Captiva and it had a Mayfair 1250gph auto and the Johnson Ultima 1250 was a direct replacement. Replacing the pump itself, not bad, however after it was installed a wiring nitemare was discovered. The most frustrating part was that when maintenance history was thoroughly inquired about to the previous owner and his service department nothing but routine service and nothing else and the hours were below 200 when we purchased it. Not having access to the main wiring panel.......rrrgghhhh!  But, I love my Rinker, I love my Rinker..........
  • randys58randys58 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    It was pretty straight forward to replace. Only issue was my 55 year old body squeezing into the right positions to remove old and install new pump. Especially connecting the wires to the relatively short ones coming from the wire harness. Thanks all.