Options

Noise when shifting

Hi all
It goes clunk whenever I shift into gear.  896 Merc with Bravo III.  Its not loud but when I was on my buddy 34' with twin bravo III,  it was silent, I couldn't even tell if its was in gear or not. 
2008 280 EC

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Some of the B llls are supposed to engage with authority not the former slow grind of older drives.

Do you have DTS or wired in place throttles.

That's a 496 right or you have a really big beast in there (896) in which case I could imagine a good clunk., as that would be your scared sh*tless  B lll running for cover! :-)

• Options
    minnesotaminnesota Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Michael T
    Just regular cable linkage. It's a solid clunk but not loud or anything. Just wonder why we couldn't even hear my buddy's twin shifting. 
    2008 280 EC
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a sign of clutch cones?
    But I'm no pro. 896 cubic inch is huge.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I was going to ask what your idle RPM is at.  I'd expect more "clunk" if they were above 600.  My B3s shift pretty quietly, but I just have little 350s pushing them.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Mine had the shift linkage assembly in the drive wear out, which would cause it to clunk into forward. I would have to give the engine extra throttle for it to engage sometimes. When I had it replaced, it shifts perfectly now.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Just a note since we are on the subject, my local merc rep told me that DTS will allow shifting up to 1500rpm.  Very high and one thing to watch for with DTS is when you throttle down, you could actually shift into reverse momentarily and not even know you are screwing things up.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Dream_Inn said:
    Just a note since we are on the subject, my local merc rep told me that DTS will allow shifting up to 1500rpm.  Very high and one thing to watch for with DTS is when you throttle down, you could actually shift into reverse momentarily and not even know you are screwing things up.
    Shifting in to reverse would be dynamic braking....lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't hear anything with ours...