Options

LED cabin lights, sink covers and steps

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭

Okay guys, I've been inboxed a bunch about the LED cabin lights, sink covers and steps... 

The LED lights: I wanted to do some R&D on them before I started to make/sell them. I Installed a set in my own FV270 to (1)see how they looked, (2) see how they performed and (3) see how easy they were to install. I had to change the design a slightly to accommodate some clearance issues with the switch and wiring(old design are mounted in my boat, new designs are still unfinished cherry). 

(1) I think they look awesome... it brings some nice cherry wood accents to an otherwise bland white ceiling. 

(2) lighting was fantastic... The LEDs give off plenty of warm white light that filled the cabin. Seemed brighter than the incandescent bulbs and saves battery by using 1/3 the energy!

(3) installation... The factory light fixtures come out by removing 2 screws and unplugging them. The new fixtures install by simply plugging in and using 2 new stainless screws(included). The hardest part of the installation was fitting the plug back into the hole between the headliner and fiberglass. 

I am still pricing them out, they take a very long time to make on the CNC. Plus LEDs, switches, electricity(220v CNC), wires, plugs, pins, screws, cherry lumber, sanding, finishing and lots of my time!! 

The new carved sink covers: I currently have the cabin and cockpit templates for the FV270 and the oval cockpit sink on the FV342. If you want a cover made for any other model, I would just need some simple measurements. Prices for the covers that I have made are:

-FV270 cabin covers are $50. 

-FV270 cockpit covers are $45. 

-FV343 oval cockpit covers are $55(when you flip them, they have a built in lipped tray). 

STEPS:  The CNC brought the steps to the next level!!! The steps are now made from one 2" solid hunk of cherry(they're a little thicker now!). They now also have a little more of a rounded edge to them. They still include all stainless hardware and even though they cost me more money to make them, the prices are staying the same for the basic sets(carved logos/names will cost a little more). 

Here are some pictures of everything:

Comments

• Options
    Oh yeah... cockpit tables will be posted soon too!! 

AND THANK YOU!!
  • Options
    Here is the FV342 cockpit sink cover:
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Well there goes a bunch of $ from my wallet this winter.. I'm in for led lights, downstairs sink and a table for the rear!  Don't know if I really need the bright LED lights, would prefer something not super bright, but then again the real reason I'd be in for them is how they look during the day!
  • Options
    I have one other little accent piece that I'm working on... I'll post when I get it made. Sorry that I've been so absent from the forum, just getting everything in order over here!! Lol
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are a talented young fellow spending much time in the shop, take the 270 out and enjoy, the season is closing in, 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    @diggin2day1.....man I have never seen anything like that happen so fast. Man, you have talent! Holy Cr*p!
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Wow that's some nice work!!
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful work @diggin2day1.  You think of making arch blanking panels with LEDs?  Either make from cherry or starboard would be nice.  I'd be in for a set.
  • Options
    @gack - I can make them... definitely out of starboard though. Depending on the thickness of the starboard that we use, I can recess the LED into it too. Any chance that you have an original plate that I can get measurements from? Even a quick trace so can get screw hole locations. I'll be at the Tobay boat show today around 1pm if you're in the area! 
  • Options
    @diggin2day1- I have the original plates, I can get you one in a couple of week before I wrap the boat.  Also have a piece of starboard as I was going to make them  myself, but think you could do much better with your new toy. I'll be in touch.  I'll be at the boat show tomorrow, working today, Thanks.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @gack - perfect! I don't have the original plates on my 270 or I would just use one of them. I want them to have exact screw hole locations like the factory plates. 
    Post edited by diggin2day1 on
  • Options
    tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Hey diggin... great stuff. 

Heres a couple pics of the table I have in the cockpit of my 280. Wondering if you could make something similar. It's so much more functional than the tiny oval one from the factory. You can see what I meant about the offset base. With the starbord I find it's way to thin/flimsy so I have a support by the cupholders. I'm hoping a wood piece will be strong enough that I won't need any sort of support. 

Let me know now if it's doable. Nice small Rinker logo in it might be nice. 

• Options
    Wow... that is a really big offset!! I can definitely make something similar out of wood that wouldn't be flimsy at all. Message me with some measurements and I'll design a computerized rendition to see what you think. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tk1973, when @diggin2day1makes you a new table, you could have someone refabricate the post with two angles so it comes up in the center of the table. Someone on here did something like that so they could have the table in a different position. I believe they came up about 6 inches, then had the post cut and an angle piece welded on, then another vertical piece welded to the angle piece. That way the post hits the center of the table.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

I believe Mark B had an SS offset made. I added two legs up against the starboard cushion because of the size of my table (23" X 42" +/-) but could have used one. It was out of the way.

• Options
    @diggin2day1, will do. I'll take some measurements and let you know. The tables been great to have back there. I was going to make one out of wood this winter but it looks like you'd do a **** of a job on it. :)

@Cableguy Greg, that's a good idea and makes sense. Although wonder if it would mess with leg space. I'll ask my welder buddy if he can add to the existing aluminum or would I need a new steel pole. 

Really just hoping that by making it out of wood it'll give it the support on its own but I guess we'll find out.  
  • Options
    edited October 2017

@tk1973, I had a similar pole position on my 2014 EC 360 and it was my opinion that a dinner for four or a person leaning on it (sure to happen) at the starboard end would be baaaad! I knew, once it was fabricated that I had to shift the center of gravity of the pole or add a second one. I added a removable leg (long post on the forum on this with parts numbers) on the port end of the table and two wooden removable spindles on the starboard end of the table. I covered up the post hole in the cockpit floor. this made the entire table stable and easily movable to let guests in and out. Once I realized that it worked I had Rinker make me a piece of carpet for the flooring without the post hole and voila it looks custom. IMO. There should be data and pictures somewhere in the archives.

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    @Michael T, thanks very much for the info. 
  • Options
    Led lights are all done... $150 for set of (4). Solid matching cherry wood, simple (2) screws and plug installation... includes new stainless mounting screws. LED is a 3.5 watt, 200 lumens warm white light... fills the cabin with the perfect amount of light. 

Also have some nice speaker trim/accent rings made of solid cherry. Pre-drilled for your 6.5" speakers. 
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    That’s a lot of production for working out of your garage. 
    It's no longer a garage.... cars have been evicted, kids bikes, scooters and wagons have been evicted... lol
  • Options
    Ha ha... I have a 4-car detached garage that I haven't been able to fit a car in for 10yrs
  • Options
    .....or you could do what I did. Go from a 5,000 sq.ft. house to an 1870 sq.ft. condo. man is that PAINFUL. From two great workshops to nada! Garage 27 feet X 35 feet - GONE. I could maybe build a birdhouse at the condo! All my beautiful tools, air and electric GONE! :-(
  • Options
    @Michael T - OH THE HORROR!!!! Seriously, I'm sorry and that stinks. I couldn't stand it without my garage. But you have to do what you have to do! 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    .....or you could do what I did. Go from a 5,000 sq.ft. house to an 1870 sq.ft. condo. man is that PAINFUL. From two great workshops to nada! Garage 27 feet X 35 feet - GONE. I could maybe build a birdhouse at the condo! All my beautiful tools, air and electric GONE! :-(
    I may be doing that soon too MT  Tired of maintaining stuff. 
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Awesome work 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handy- you just bought your hose! I hear you though...I'm about getting the same way...I'm thinking a trailer out on the country with a place to store the boat, big cover over it like an RV and then a workshop. By the time it all falls apart, I'll be dead anyway....
  • Options
    @shawnmjr. The house was on the water. Boat was on an electric boat lift. Came home from work and was anchored BBQing dinner 30 minutes later. That was then. I'm on the water now too and with a boat slip but no boat. Yeah, I know I made my own problem! Just don't copy me ! 
  • Options
    Save me a set of cabin lights @diggin2day1.  I'll pick them up when I drop off the arch blank in a week or two.
  • Options
    gack said:
    Save me a set of cabin lights @diggin2day1.  I'll pick them up when I drop off the arch blank in a week or two.
    You got it... have a set put aside for you. Thank you!