Options

Report on First Multi-Day Trip (Long and Many Pics)

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
As promised, here is my report and pics from our first multi-day trip. I had hoped to figure out a way to post a link to the shots, but not that tech savvy. So sorry if it eats data. We traveled from the bottom (south) end of Lake Simcoe, north to Orillia, across Lake Couchiching and through the Severn River/Canal Lock system to Georgian Bay visiting Beausoleil Island and the town/port of Midland and return. We are very happy to have made the trip, we made it safely and our FV270 ran flawlessly. I have to say though, that by the end of the trip I was happy it was done. Not having locked through before, running unknown areas, the huge amount of boat traffic particularly on the return trip and the incredible heat all took a toll. The temperature on all 4 days hit peaks of between 80 to 90 F. A lot of the route is very tight and you have to be on your toes at all times. By the end of the trip I was bagged. A few late nights didn't help of course as you'll see in the budget breakdown.
The Admiral and I are still on speaking terms and not divorced. 4 days on a boat together can sometimes test the best of friends but overall we had a great time. 
According to Navionics we travelled about 240 statute miles. We ran the boat for 16.3 Hours. Overall cost of the trip was about $1200 CDN or $960 USD. We Averaged 22L or 5.8USG per hour burning 356.5 L or 94 USG for a cost of $386 CDN or $310 US. $160 for Slip Fees, $600 Food/Drinks and $62 for a set of charts. The food and drinks amount was a little skewed by a fancy dinner with several bottles of wine one evening. And we do enjoy a good pub after the boat is berthed for the day.
Finally, here are the pics:
Morning of departure. A beautiful, if dew laden, morning. Lake was like glass.

Simcoe really is a good size. Lot's of points where you can barely see the other side.
Coming into Orillia at the Narrows.

After crossing Lake Couchiching we come to the Severn river and a few bridges including this railway swing bridge. On approach you sound 3 horns and the operator swings it open, assuming no train is coming. The others are a highway bridge and a fixed rail bridge.

Our first lock, Lock42/Couchiching. We ended up behind a tour boat that runs out of Orillia, the Island Princess.

Finally past the tour boat and crossing Sparrow Lake.

After Sparrow Lake, a narrow, blasted canal called MacDonald's Cut

The second lock at Swift Rapids. Highest regular lock of the system at 47 feet.

Severn Falls. A great little restaurant and the docks are transient. Owned by the township and operated by the Emporium, a combination country store, liquor outlet.

Another rail bridge, and a very narrow channel. You really have to pay attention to the bouys on this run.

The upstream approach to the cradle for the Big Chute Marine Railway. The cradle comes down into the water, you drive in, they hoist your boat onto slings that keep it in place and away you go!

Just after this once in a lifetime experience, I hear a "Securite" call on the radio warning about a 65 foot vessel entering an area called "Little Chute". Hmm..that's nice I thought. Of course, not knowing exactly where that is....coming into this VERY narrow channel, I round a corner and come face to face with this huge tour boat lumbering towards us. The channel is too narrow to turn around, so I slap into reverse and do a very fancy backwards retreat until I get to a wider spot and can turn and run. The tour boat couldn't slow down or else he drifts into the rocks on either side. That one had me shaky for a while. I have this spot very well marked on the GPS and charts now. The pic below is taken on the way back so I'd be going the same direction the tour boat was. And as fate would have it, we met it again but outside the channel this time.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    We had one more lock to go but this time of year the last lock through is at 3:30 and we got there around 3:25. The Admiral and I were both beat, and knew there was a great marina, Starport Severn at the top of the lock so elected to stop for the day. Otherwise it was at least a few more hours to the next stop.

The next morning after getting through the last lock we passed through another narrow channel called the Potato Island Pass. Over in the distance is Waubeshene Bay.

We headed over to Beausoleil Island and spent most of the afternoon swimming, BBQing and chatting with fellow boaters before heading into the town/Port of Midland for the evening. There is a great pub and eatery right in the parking lot of the town harbour.

The bright lights in the background are the pub.

• Options
    In the morning, we headed out early and decided to see how traffic was and how far back we'd try and go. Original thought was to just go back to Severn Falls, but we arrived there at only 1 P.M. so decided to keep going. We ended up making it all the way back to Orillia, arriving around 5:30 in the afternoon. Did all 3 conventional locks and the Big Chute Marine Railway again and all in 90 degree F + heat.
    When we got docked there wasn't enough beer in all the watering holes to kill the thirst.
    First few pics are leaving Midland with the port elevators, a commercial vessel and others.
    When we headed up to the downtown for breakfast in Midland, we spotted this random wheelchair in the middle of the sidewalk,,,no one around. When we came back an hour later, it was still there...things that make you go Hmmmm??!!
    Approaching Lock 45, the first lock back in the morning.

Approaching Big Chute Marine Railway from the upper side and other trip over the "hump"

The "Waubic" a famous place to stop for a meal and also has some overnight docking facilities.

• Options
    The approach to upper side of Swift Rapids Lock 43. Hard to make out, but that's a hydro generating dam to the right of the lock, and creates quite the current when trying to maintain position.

Back through MacDonald's Cut and then into the last lock of the day, Lock 42 at Couchiching. It was getting close to cut off time for the last lock through so they carefully arranged us all so that all 13 craft that were waiting could get in.

Crossing Lake Couchiching on the lee side of Big Chief Island there is a spot that is a weekend party hang out. Over 200 boats rafted. The locals call it "Pee Bay".

Finally, into the Port of Orillia for our last night.

There's more pics, but most of them after this were interior shots of bars and pubs, so I'll leave it to your imagination. After the long third day, our last run down Lake Simcoe was about 2 hours to home port. Temps that day hit 100F so by the time we got the boat unpacked and canvas all back up we were drenched in sweat.

Overall a very worthwhile trip. You have to have a lot of patience and depending on the day there is a huge amount of traffic in the wake control zones. It's like a boat parade. I'm not in a hurry to do it again, but when I do I'll do it all mid-week and somehow try and break it up more, maybe take a few more days and stop in some of the places we skipped like Severn Falls.
    Hope you enjoy the pics, sorry if it'll be a real pain if you access the forum on mobile like I often do.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Awesome, thanks for posting!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pic's, cool adventure.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was amazing. What was the water temps?
  • Options
    Low 70's.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Great pictures thanks for posting them....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Awesome pics and glad you didn't have any issues. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great trip- I have never heard if slinging the boat like that in lieu of a lock? I will have to look for more info on that, must be un nerving! Your high temps are our normal day, just use to it I guess. You should, however in include pictures of the captain and admiral to complete the set of pictures! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Low 70's.
    Too cold for me LOL
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    That was an awesome read... thanks for sharing!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Really cool trip! Thanks for posting!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    What a great trip!  We plan to get to Georgian Bay in a couple years and visit the spots we missed on our recent trip.  I have lots of time to plan.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    I am impressed with the time and detail put in this posting. To take the time to load each picture, then put the captions in for our viewing is outstanding ! Members like you is why this forum is awesome and addictive.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Some beautiful sights.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really a great looking trip! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    @Willhound looks like you had a great time. We will have to try and have a Rinker Regatte on Lake Simcoe next year.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    @Gregg.....do you accept honourary boatless "social" members? LOL
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Wow.  That is an interesting adventure! 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, looks like you were lucky with the weather the entire journey. Nice photos.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You tube has videos of that big chute railway, that would have some pucker power to it!
  • Options
    gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    What a great trip and photos!