Options

Drop in Replacement for stock windlass on a 2004 270?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've got that white windlass that the boat came with, gears are making all kinds of bad noises and now it refuses to grab where the chain meets the rope.. time to swap this piece of junk for a new one.. is there a model that's a drop in replacement?? Thank you in advance. 

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
    The Lewmar 700 should be a direct swap. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    ah okay, so I had one of those on my previous boat...wasn't super thrilled with it.. then again no thrilled with this one either!!  :D:D:D
  • Options
    I had the 600 also and seems they were known to be just okay. I put the 1000 in and very happy with it. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the Lewmar 1000 the same foot print?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    I had the 600 also and seems they were known to be just okay. I put the 1000 in and very happy with it. 
    DID YOU HAVE TO UPGRADE THE BREAKER OR WIRES??? DID YOU GET THE OPTIONAL REMOTE OR FOOT SWITCHES? DID YOU GET THE OPTIONAL PRO FISH MODEL WITH THE FREEFALL FEATURE?
  • Options
    Handy is getting old, yelling all the time
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....don't be too rough on Steve remember....... his hearing is shot from those loud diesels, his sense of smell has been eliminated by the stink of those diesels and that's not the worst of it! You may remember from an earlier thread - his wife was planning on getting him a "dork extender" for Christmas......I would think he would have been in a better mood by now????? Maybe we should all chip-in and get him some ":big blues". Handy if you thought we would be any more merciful in 2018 - forget it.......what goes around Ha Ha Ha! Merry Christmas Scrooge!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    icoultha said:
    DID YOU HAVE TO UPGRADE THE BREAKER OR WIRES??? DID YOU GET THE OPTIONAL REMOTE OR FOOT SWITCHES? DID YOU GET THE OPTIONAL PRO FISH MODEL WITH THE FREEFALL FEATURE?
    No but new breaker came with it and I fitted it and the new switch. 
    Heavy duty to windlass were sized right but needed to rewire behind switch to add relay as the 600 didn’t need one and this did. 
    I bought foot switches later and fitted them. 
    The 1000 has free fall as standard. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    icoultha said:
    icoultha said:
    No but new breaker came with it and I fitted it and the new switch. 
    Heavy duty to windlass were sized right but needed to rewire behind switch to add relay as the 600 didn’t need one and this did. 
    I bought foot switches later and fitted them. 
    The 1000 has free fall as standard. 
    Thanks for the answer. The 1000 calls for 75 amp which I believe needs #2 wire. 
  • Options
    I can’t recall but did check and mine was good. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    All 342s have #6 wire
  • Options
    seasharon1seasharon1 Member Posts: 1
    hey guys am new to boating,i got a question to ask i have a 2008 260 rinker with a bimini top and wanted to install an electric 12 volt winch for my anchour can anyone tell me is it a brezze to instal one or i have to have a pro or more knowdlge person do the job? thanks for any respones

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the guy's have replaced there windless, they  will help
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The boat is prewired for a windlass. The wires are at the helm on the right side. At the anchor locker, you will have to remove the mirror to see where they terminate. They should be on the starboard side in the anchor locker. You will probably need a mirror, flashlight and cell phone camera to find them. The stock windlass was a Horizon 600, which has been discontinued. There is a newer version available.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I wish I could find parts for the old one.. oh well. 

So no one seemed to answer. 

1. Is the Lewmar 1000 a direct replacement or do you have to drill holes?

New question:

1. Anyone know what wires the 270 has? I see it's mentioned that the 1000 needs #6 wires... 
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    I have the 1000 on my 330.  How do you trigger the free fall function?