Replace RL70

On my 2002 FV342 i currently have the RL70 with m92650 2kw. Im looking into replacing with something more modern that will have GPS and Radar and everything else. Not really looking to break the bank but not wanting to go the cheapest route either.

My main concern is getting something to fit into and look nice in the current hold where the RL70 is at.

TIA

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be looking at Garmin. Very easy to DIY install, have seen full radar chart plotter systems for $2500 in west marine catalog. I just installed a system in my dads sailboat and it literally was plug in play with the nema2000. Run wires, plug in, poof it all worked. Unbelievably easy.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• brandonmayberrybrandonmayberry Member Posts: 226 ✭✭
    Awesome, thats the answer i was looking for. Im also concerned about getting it to fit my dash without having to do fiberglass work. Im fine cutting the area larger if needed but do not want to have to fill anything in if possible. I do however want it to look as factory as possible.
    Also, do you know if i will have to change out my radar itself if i change the unit or will that dome work with other head units. Im new to radar for the most part so please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks again!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been told the dome will not work with any of the newer units.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    I have been told the dome will not work with any of the newer units.
    That is what i had been finding mostly but wasnt sure. Thanks!
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    When I replaced mine a few months ago I discovered that there really isn't a direct fit. I would resign yourself to the fact that you are going to do some fabrication and some fiberglass work.  One big reason is that over the years the displays have gone from being almost square to rectangular.  Following tv's and computer screens. 
    Post edited by davidbrooks on
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Raymarine A98 is a almost perfect replacement for the C70.but that doesn't help you,but good for me. With that said I still think Garmin is better. Just my opinion.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raymarine offers bezels to fit a new-size display into an old-size opening.  Mostly, the new display you want is too wide for the opening you have, and you end up with blank space at top and bottom.  

The change in format is unfortunate.  For nav electronics, if I'm getting extra real estate on the screen, I'd make the display taller so I can see what's in front of me.  Instead, they make the displays wider and shorter, showing me what's abeam of the boat.  
    Right, you either need to replace the dome or buy an older used unit that will work with it. You can get a couple hundred bucks for a used dome, actually I may have a buyer for the dome if you want to sell it. I think my dock mate has the same system and needs a new dome. 

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The previous owner of our 342 put a Lowrance HDS5 in the spot where the original chartplotter had been.  It fit fairly well.  When I had VV installed a whole new dash was created and the chartplotter moved there.  Recently I upgraded to a Garmin 721 in the dash.  I don't think you could flush mount anything bigger than a 5 inch plotter in the spot originally used for one.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:
    The previous owner of our 342 put a Lowrance HDS5 in the spot where the original chartplotter had been.  It fit fairly well.  When I had VV installed a whole new dash was created and the chartplotter moved there.  Recently I upgraded to a Garmin 721 in the dash.  I don't think you could flush mount anything bigger than a 5 inch plotter in the spot originally used for one.
    I installed a 12 inch screen
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:
    Stodge said:
    Holy Cow!  Can you read it from the swim platform?  

My dash only had room for a 7 inch.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Hany, Yea, i saw yours project and it is awesome. If you feel like doing it on someone elses 342 just let me know and ill let you take a crack at it. I was hoping to not have to do that much custom fab work myself.

I appreciate everyones input. I will look into the Garmin and see what i can get that will meet my needs with minimum fabrication i guess.
    Just saw this deal on WM. $1500 isnt bad for an entirely new package with radar. Smaller screen, yes. I'd look in to starboard from boatoutfitters to fill the opening and then just cut a new opening for your new unit. 

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmin--gpsmap-741xs-multi-function-display-and-gmr-18hd-radar-value-pack--14258792?cm_mmc=EM-_-Promo-_-N/A-_-N/A