Options

Storing Cushions/Mattress for Winter

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
Really, really hate to post winterizing topics (pipe down you Florida bunch  :D ).
But the reality is our marina wants to start pulling boats next week. About 10% have already voluntarily pulled out.
Just curious...do any of you pull any of the removable cushions, mattresses etc. out of the boat and store them elsewhere for the winter? I plan on using Damp-Rid, keeping the hatch and ports cracked a tiny bit for air, but wondering about trying to air out that damp funky boat smell from some of the upholstery. (I personally LUV that smell, the Admiral, not so much).
Of course, if I do, they'll likely just sit in my basement or garage over the winter so......
What's your routine? 
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can if you want. I always left them in with lots of Damp Rid
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Inside storage or outside wrapped? We are inside now but have always pulled anything that you can in fabric so not to absorb any moisture at all. The v berth has a carpeted top so I lift the vinyl cushions, propped up by the side shelving and the AC removable hatch so the carpet can breath. Aft cabin and dining seating area I lift the vinyl cushions and stand sideways, less surface area in contact. I out in a number of the damp rid bags and basically empty a box of bounce dryer sheets throughout that leaves a nice smell and helps to keep any bugs out that try to escape the cold.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just lift everything up so the air circulates around it. I also use 3 gallon sized Damp Rid containers. I found scented Damp Rid at Home Depot the other day and I got one of those to try out. I also crack the port lights to let some air circulate around the cabin. My boat is stored outside under a Fisher Canvas cover.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Boat will be stored outdoors with a frame covered in poly tarp. So air can circulate a bit. Marina wants $600 to shrink wrap that just gets thrown out in spring. Sounding like maybe bring a few pieces home and just lift some of the others. I like the dryer sheets idea.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put a pound of coffee beans in an open container too.  They aborb odors

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    x4 on damp rid, all linens and pillow's out of the boat for winter.  I also put mouse poison blocks in there. Storing in farmers pole barn. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Yeah mice are always a worry also. I used to out open containers of both balls in my old open boat in the winter. Apparently they don't like it. Stinks though. 
    Post edited by Willhound on
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scented dryer sheets keep spiders away too.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you keep them off the boat on a lift?
  • Options
    We have the dryer sheets stuck in various places to discourage them as I can't stand spiders - see one and I hear the blood draining from my head. Found at home depot a good spray form Ortho that seem pretty effective on the lines and fenders in reducing their transits over from the dock.

<shudder> hearing that glugging noise typing about it.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    x4 on damp rid, all linens and pillow's out of the boat for winter.  I also put mouse poison blocks in there. Storing in farmers pole barn. 
    I used to store in a pole barn. I would put the plug back in and all of the thru hull fittings got stuffed with a dryer sheet and covered over with a small piece of duct tape. Be sure there is no food left on the boat. @tniggel missed a single ketchup pack one year and the mice found it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    How do you keep them off the boat on a lift?

I never get them on my boat.  Those that have had issues spray their dock lines.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We spray a lot of ortho home defense on pit dock lines, shore power cord, fenders, rub rail, dock and posts, swim platform, etc. makes a huge difference in the summer on spiders 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Spiders around my house just laugh at Home Defense.  I spray on a Monday and I have great big webs by Wednesday.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I usually leave my cushions in but took them out for this winter as I may be getting them reupholstered. I also store underground but it is very damp so I use 2 buckets of damp-rid then change them out with fresh ones about January. I also spray thoroughly with Lysol before putting it away. I also put a container of mothballs in the cabin and the cockpit for the winter. Keeps spiders away. Never had any issues with small or mold.
  • Options
    Ended up bringing them home. Gonna Febreze them and store in the basement for winter. Nice and dry down there. Filler cushions from v-berth and the aft mattress. Still a bit of a lingering scent from when I had my transom oil leak earlier this year so hoping to make that go away.
  • Options
    Stuff some bounce dryer sheets in them too. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The yard I keep my boat at offers power all winter long.. I got one of these for 30 bucks at the amazon warehouse.. throw this downstairs with all the cushions and just forget about it.. inspect boat every couple of weeks to make sure it's working, so far no problems. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ironwood-Pacific-123713-DryWave-Dryer/dp/B000BTAQIG

• Options
    Yep. We barely have power in the slips, let alone the storage yard. DampRid all the way!