Options

Intermittent start problem

gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
Last couple of times I took the boat out it would start fine, then a couple of times I would turn the key and got nothing.  Used both batteries and no difference.  I would try the key a bunch of times for about to minutes. and finally would start like nothing wrong.  Trying to figure out where to start troubleshooting, starter, oil, ignition switch?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    look at the starter relay, same thing happened to me, changed out relay and not a problem since...2 yrs ago.

• Options
    I have a270 FV
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Also check the wiring on the ignition key switch...I had similar problems and a wire was loose 
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, my experience was when I first got out boat and a similar problem was the starter. The starter on the 350 motor is right on the bottom of the flywheel. Terrible place to put it. I'm sure you could have little water in the bilge and between plan in out or pulling out at the ramp get it pretty wet. Anyway, there are easy tests in the manual to check it after you have check the other items mentioned...
  • Options
    tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    I had a similar issue and changed the ignition switch. No issues since. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  Will check all connections first and then look at the relay and ignition switch then check the manual as Ras mentioned.  May not solve this one until next season since I'm coming out soon.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a similar issue. Was the orange wire from starter to coil. There was a fuse in there that would rattle loose causing a no start. Then from vibrating around would get contact and start. Baffled us for a while. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)