Options

Pulled the boat and polished her up

gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
Well, it was gloomy yesterday, and I didn't have the time to go up and enjoy our boat for a few days, so I took the day to polish her.  First off, this still freaks me out watching them lift a 12,000 pound boat into the air.
June12__005.jpg

The boat was pretty much a mess.  I was talked into carnuba wax last year, and I am going to say that I think that is what caused this, but maybe I am wrong.  Both sides are a disaster in oxidation.
June12__011.jpg
I used Buff Magic to compound the hull.  This stuff is great.  
June12__013.jpg
June12__015.jpg
Before and after
June12__009.jpgJune12__017~0.jpg
June12__018.jpg

The Buff magic polished it up really nicely. Now, where I ran into an issue was with the polish wax.  I tried Pro polish by shurhold.  It lost the gloss!?!? What?  Hmmm...Tried several things, hand only, hand apply/power off, power apply/off.  All bad.  Went and bought NuFinish, and I liked the results better.  $20 for pro polish and I hated it.  Not sure what happened, because the shurhold company is great usually.  I think I still have some starbrite somewhere...I think I will try that next visit.  

But, either way, it looks blue again, which is a good thing!!
Gary and Diane
290 FV Nauti Bonnie

Comments

• Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff and nice pics. Here's a link that helped us when we were researching the best way to restore our Rinkers navy gelcoat. It's a process but it holds up over time. Ours looks great and the tropical sun is bit more intense than those friendlier rays you get way up there.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    I had the same exact issue with the pro polish on our blue hull.  Buff Magic worked great then the pro polish turned it back to what the Buff magic fixed.

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Fantastic

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

Very nice!  & if it makes you feel any better, the fork lift in our marina moves around even the 360's!  Talk about a bit of weight! 

She looks great & I give you guys a lot of credit with those blue hulls!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Great job....Looks awesome
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I did the same this year with our blue 360. The random orbital didn't do the trick so I used a rotary buffer with buff magic. It came out good. I used pro polish which wasn't bad but I found that you couldn't use it at high speeds or when the hull was real hot. I was only mildly impressed with the pro polish. End of season I'll use presta. Your boat looks great.
  • Options
    MadcowMadcow Member Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    I use Meguirs Premium Marine and Meguiers polish.

Boat: 2004 232 Capitva CC

Boat Name: Mixed Nutz