Options

Coolant Change - 06' Merc 350 MAG MPI Horizon

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
I doubt that my coolant has ever been changed. No issues but I would think that by now I need to change my coolant. They are horizons so I have heat exchangers and coolant running through the block, not water. How do I change the coolant? Is this something that I can do over the winter? Simple as drain and re fill? Thanks! 
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    So from what I can tell there are a couple of plugs on the block to pull to drain coolant and then I just re fill and make sure to top off after the first couple of runs. Sound right? Anyone know where the drain plugs are? I am going to buy an antifreeze tester for a few bucks before I do this to make sure my coolant actually needs replaced. 

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not having one, you would think it has the same blue drain plugs for winterizing? see your manual. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    FDNY49FDNY49 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Check out YOU TUBE they may have a video
  • Options
    I ended up buying an $0.88 coolant tester from Walmart. Tested the heat exchangers in both engines and 4 to 5 balls floated meaning my coolant is fine so not going to change this year. Really surprised that there is no info here on anyone doing a coolant change, must not need to be done very often as I had thought. 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on @Liberty44140 I was following this to learn something more then go to Wal-Mart and spend $.88. Lol . All the cars I ever done I just pull the lower hose from the water pump and splash all comes out.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Ha, sorry to disappoint Renee :) when I talk to my mechanic this fall about doing my gimbal bearings this winter ill still ask him how to change the coolant, he respects that I diy and pay him for big stuff and has no problem giving me 10 min of coaching. Stay tuned....

• Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Liberty; Just saw your post today . Changed both my 6.2 horizons ,2004 , last year. Just removed 1 short bolt plug located on starboard side ,low middle of engine block. very easy to remove plug. use socket ratchet. removed bilge drain plug and drain into a big pail. Then I Removed thermostat housing and filled from there. replaced thermostats while at it. I do remember Alswag stating a few years back that coolant  life is based on heat cycles and that you may go many years before having to change.  Note : I did not test mine ,so it may have still been good. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I always thought I was a good day when the boat floats, but hey, if it's balls, well that's ok too. :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    FWIW, I have the same engine in my 2007 Bayliner 285.  Manual says change antifreeze every 5 years.  1st time I had it changed, mechanic had a hard time and had to "make" some kind of tool to complete the job.  Don't know if that was a function of how Bayliner positions the engine in the boat, or the nature of that engine.

Paul
  • Options
    Good stuff. If I end up doing this or gather more info on it I'll comment back.