Options

Turn key = no start ?

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
So i went to start the engines today, it's been a few weeks, port fired up perfectly as usual, but no such look on the starboard. The starter appeared to spin just fine while the key was turned but it was not engaging. So i assume power to the starter is fine. If I recall most starters have a little gear that pops up to engage the flywheel and crank the motor over. It sounds like that gear is not engaging but rather just spinning below the flywheel. 
So what say you guys?  Do you think bad starter, bad starter solenoid, or something else?  Anyone change one before?  I hear access is a real pita. It's my starboard 496. 

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your battery is low on voltage it might not have enough power to spin the starter fast enough to push the gear out and engage it to the flywheel. The gear can also be stuck and just needs to be freed up.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Batteries are good.  They are new and the port fires fine. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you turn your key, hear a beep and then wait 5 sec to start to give the fuel pump time to run?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    See if you can tap it with a hammer. Might free it up......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I'm going to try and jump the solenoid to rule that out. I'm guessing it might be the solenoid. If it were stuck I would think the starter gear would not engage upwards to engage with the flywheel. Which appears to be what is happening. Hoping I don't have to replace the starter. It sounds like either the engine would have to come out, or I would have to remove exhaust riser, manifold and batteries to maybe get at it. 
  • Options
    Do you turn your key, hear a beep and then wait 5 sec to start to give the fuel pump time to run?
    Yep. Always. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @craigswardmtb The bendix pushes the drive gear out to connect to the flywheel. If you jump the solenoid could have same result as the key. The tap with a hammer has to be done while clicking the key. Either way the start has to come out. Starter comes out strait down two bolts go up into the block. Good luck. Sorry we never meet up this summer, always next year 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Well found the problem. The Orange wire going to the starter wore against something and finally snapped. The wire is so short and taut that I need to go buy a longer piece and try and solder or crimp in those tight quarters. What should be an easy fix is never easy on a boat. 
  • Options
    Btw i thought my motor had a slave solenoid on the top of the engine in addition to the solenoid on the starter motor. Apparently merc moved away from that design in 04 or so and went to relays and a single solenoid on the starter. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you got it fixed! Interesting on the design change in 04, I was pretty sure I still had a slave on top of my 06 350. Wonder if that change is just for larger engines like yours?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fixing a piece if wire way better then pulling the starter, way cheaper to boot. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Not sure about engine models Liberty44140.  

Yep that starter is not fun to get to.  I would have either been pulling all my batteries and water heater, or removing the manifold.  Still a pita to even do wire work.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dreaded orange wire strikes again! An easier fix than the bendix though.
    An easy test my marina mechanic showed me was a piece of wire with alligator clips running from battery to coil. When the boat started he said "It could be a few other connections, but I'll bet dollars to donuts it's the orange wire". He was correct. Mine hadn't worn through, but it had a built in fuse holder and the connection to the fuse was loose.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I never closed this out. Multiple issues in that the wire corroded and broke. However the starter was toast which I also replaced. I could not get my hands in there or didn't have the right tools so had them change it out. Manifold was off already and batteries out so it took them little time to do it. He did say it was close and almost an engine pull was required. If it were the starboard motor this job would have been much easier. 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    those dang bolts.... 

i ran into an engine that laid just outside the mounting blocks, and disallowed two of the four bolts to come out of the starter...  this is before i had a gantry making engine lifting easy... i unscrewed them, cut them off, let them drop to the block again and cut them once more... those two bolts came out in six pieces.  

swapped the starter- used the two bolts that fit in/out fine to hold it in place, and found a bolt that allowed a couple threads to reach the tap and added some blue loctite to it, and forwent the fourth bolt altogether... i always meant to go back and fix it 'out of season' or if it caused any issue..... but it never did.  not sayin' this is right and it's something i usually wouldn't do or condone- but............. sometimes, though rare, it is advantageous to leverage over-engineering in your favor.